New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double shotgun misfires
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It is a Spanish boxlock side by side. Firing pins does not indent enough to ignite the primers.

Frequently left barrel miss, less often right and sometimes both miss.

Looks that springs are weak. If so, could these be repaired or have to be replaced?

Thanks

Posts: 271 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my limited exposure to Spanish shotguns, and some British guns, I have found that the heat treat sucks. For the money they get for those items, they sure don't know much about heat treating. You could have a problem with springs or firing pins.

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check to make sure that the firing pins are not sticking in the firing pin holes in the breech face. I have a Baker SXS that did that -- occasional light strikes were the result. It appears that the offending pin was a poorly fit replacement, a tad bigger than it should have been.

Good luck,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This gun has bushed firing pins. When this problem started, I checked the firing pins. The right one was deformed, so I got it replaced.

Replacement pin seems very well made and identical to the left one. I checked the sideways movement of pins protruded from the breech face. There is very slight movement of pins inside the holes, which I consider is correct and pins are free to move in the holes.

Jim,
Do you think that springs could be re-heat treated? Are these coil springs or v springs?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saad

Please tell me the manufacturer of your shotgun model and serial number , should be easy to find a couple of new v springs here for it .

Daniel
Spain

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Roundbutt>
posted
Older shotguns were made for shells with thicker rims. This would make the shotgun act like a rifle with bad head space. Are your rims thicker after firing? I do not shoot the guns I have with this problem because the rims can split.

[ 03-25-2003, 07:52: Message edited by: Roundbutt ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Daniel,

It is an AyA serial no. 215335. On inquiry AyA people told me that it is an Iberia. But this differs a lot from the current model Iberia being offered. Instead it matches the description of model Yeoman.

Roundbutt,

I will check some fired shells today. However, our local brand of shells have thicker rims. I know this because my Ithaca double does not closes easily with these shells and AyA does.