Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

price of a true bench rifle
 Login/Join

posted
i dont do any gunsmithing but i own a savage 25 lvt and i would like to know how much it would cost to have it glass bedded ,pillared, free floated and any other modifications among these lines by a local and maybe an Ackley Improvement.

Im trying to get the .223 as accurate as possible btw im working on some well working reloads too

One of Us
posted Hide Post
depends on what part of the country you live in.

PM me if you wish.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
How accurate is it before you do these things?

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
im in the mid north and it shoots within a 1" grouping at 100 yds

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deer slayer:
i dont do any gunsmithing but i own a savage 25 lvt and i would like to know how much it would cost to have it glass bedded ,pillared, free floated and any other modifications among these lines by a local and maybe an Ackley Improvement.

Im trying to get the .223 as accurate as possible btw im working on some well working reloads too

"A true bench rifle"... hmmmm. The first question I would ask is what do you want this particular rifle to do from an accuracy standpoint? What are your expectations? In terms of decimal points please, and not "as tight as possible".

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW you'll see BR rifles occasionally in the Precision Shooting classifieds for 3-4 thousand.

Sometimes less.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are all great rifles - but those 60's ones are just spectacular. Thanks for putting that up.

What style stock and/or maker is this stock on this 260 ?

From this thread back in November.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...5611043/m/3481018551

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deerslayer, I think you need to better define what you are looking for... The post title is "true bench rifle" but in the body of the post you refer to some fairly basic accurizing steps that are commonly done to hunting rifles. You will get a broad variety of answers with the window open that wide, as you can see you already have.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexKD:
Those are all great rifles - but those 60's ones are just spectacular. Thanks for putting that up.

Agreed- those rigs were(and are) something to marvel at.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TexTD:

Robertson composits makes it. Im not sure about which model though.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Robertson just went out of business. Savage and true Bench Rest rifle are not possible.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
You can find dozens (and sometimes hundreds) of used true BR rifles at Bob White's site for $2,000 or less. At some point each will need a rebarrel, but at least for a while (maybe a long while) some of them will still shoot in the 0.1's. and virtually all of them will shoot in the 0.2'S, often the very low 0.2s.

Considering that a new Kelbly Panda action is now about $1,300 shipped, there are some amazing deals at Bob's place. He is the former president of the IBS and has made his life's work a devotion to buying and selling used BR guns.

But, be aware, a good BR rifle is just the start of opening the cost envelope in that sport. Some of the top rated front rests alone cost over $1,000 if bought new. When the bug really bites, truly good wind flags, dies, bullets, optics, cleaning equipment, powder measures, ammo boxes, arbor presses, and so on can cost twice as much as the rifle if you don't develop the skills to do most of the "building" yourself.

It can be even more costly if you compete in "cast-bullet BR" where you have all the costs of jacketed bullet BR PLUS the costs of moulds, casting equipment, sizer-lubers and their dies, etc.

From the vantage point of my BR competition participation, I would suggest buying a used BR rifle, but using it to hunt varmints with rather than to shoot BR competition.

That way you can enjoy something really, really accurate, without many of the competition costs.

Other opinions of course will vary.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote