Find
Notify
Tools

Building a 300 H&H Rifle Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted
I have been searching for many years to find a nice pre 64 winchester model 70 in 300 H&H to no avail. They are either too beat up or more than I want to pay for a LNIB new collectable one. I have considered a Dakota but what I really want is something in the ball park of a Kimber or a Winchester model 70 classic. This will be a hunting rifle with a nice wood stock not a collecable piece of art. I called kimber and they can't build anything other than what they currently stock. Therefore, I would like some input on just putting togther a nice CRF winchester model 70 in 300 H&H. I can live with a factory wood stock an eventually upgrade the wood in the future. PACNOR can put a nice chrome moly match barrel on it for $530. Here's my questions for all you smart gunsmiths out there.
1. What would be the best CRF doner gun or Action to start with that would require the least amount of work to modify.(ie Win Mod 70,Kimber 8400, MRC basic action.. in what starting calibler if I get a used rifle) I like to keep the project less than $2000.

2. Rebarreling + some feed ramp work what else will need to be done if I go the easy route and just rebarrel?

Finally any other thoughts on putting together a nice 300 H&H CRF rilfe? Yes, I already know that there are dozens of better 30 caliber choices and 300WM is just fine I just like the idea of the 300 H&H for Nolstagia reasons. I could just by a beat up 300 H&H and live with it but I'd like to explore this idea a little before I give up on it.

Thanks & Merry Christmas

Brad Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
For less than $2,000 I often see pretty nice shooter grade pre 64's on GA and gunbroker in the $1500 range.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2584 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted Hide Post
Hikerbum:

I guess I'm spoiled by my kimbers that shoot Sub 1 MOA groups all day long. I've seen many listed even Cabela's has about 5 sub 2k guns right now I just wonder how well these gun will shoot? I know most people might settle for 2.5" groups at a 100yards and call it good enough I just was hoping for a little more by going with a match barrel.

Thanks for the Suggestion.

Brad Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am on my fourth and last P-64 .300H&H and I paid less than the going rate from a friend, but, really nice shooter grades, 95% overall will run about $1500.00 here in Canada. They are not that hard to find and often come up for sale from January to about April.

Mine have consistently shot tinyn groups with 200 gr. Speers and Nossie Pts. and, like you, I really like these and the old cartridge. I also like the .308Norma and have a minty FIE Musketeer so chambered that a friend gave me.

I had a .300win sts Classic for about two days and pulled the barrel and put on a Classic sts .338 tube as I am a .338 slut of the worst kind. But, for shooting offhand, nothing works for me like the old P-64-.300 H&Hs do and, btw, I have a very choice custom Dakota.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To answer your ? find out if maddog still has this 70 stw
rebarrel, blue, and away you go for under 2k

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
find a Sako l61r or AV action, have it barrelled and stocked. I have recently picked up two complete wood stocked l61r's for +/- $450 each one in 7mag and the other in 300 win mag. I will have them barreled in 300 H&H and 338-06 respectively.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I planned to do was, and I still may, is take a Model 70 Classic in 300 Weatherby I picked up for $650 (feeds the 300 H&H as is) and install a Lilja CM barrel in their copy of the factory sporter contour. Have it blued and drop the results into a take off Super Grade stock. Install decent bottom metal and I'll have about $1600 in it.

Have all the pieces, just haven't put 'em together yet.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a pretty decent (for being twice as old as me) 300h&h for about 900 worth of guns in a trade. not an original stock but a nice one. a friend just sold another 300h&h for around 700 because the bore was pretty pitted in the back half... sometimes you just have to keep an eye out and be patient to get what you want. you never know, come tax time someone might be looking for fast cash (or post xmas bills?)

Posts: 79 | Location: northwest | Registered: 17 January 2008Reply With Quote