Find
Notify
Tools

S42G K98 Mauser?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
A Mauser action I'm talking to a guy about buying is described by him as "S42G K98 German Mauser made in Oberndorf in 1935".

I know very little about all the variants of the military mausers, so does anyone know about this one, and its suitability toward making a sporter?

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
S42 means Stalhwerk 42, Steelfactory 42, one of the best of the steelworks that paroduced the M98 on Oberndorf.

Very fine action, as the Germans is the best prewarmodels. in my opinion.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
S/42 was the pre-war code for K98s produced by the Mauser factory. The "G" means that it was made in 1935. mr rigby & I are telling you the same thing just in different terms.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

So from what you are saying, it's one of the desirable actions as far as metalurgy, and craftsmanship, and it should work out for a donor action?

From your experience are the original barrels any good, if not shot or rusted out? I have never shot an original military mauser barrel for accuracy.

Once I had a very clean VZ24 with original 8mm, but at the time a guy offered more than I thought it was worth, so I sold it before firing it. That's one sale I have regretted ever since.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Has the action been modified in any way? Is there just the action or a barreled action or what? If it is matching & unmodified I have a 1909 Argentine action "original white receiver" not reblued, that I might consider trading.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote