New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lighten a pre 64 model 70
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for advice on lightening a butchered pre 64 model 70 standard in 270 wcf built in 1950.

It has shortened lop and 20" cut down barrel.

I am considering picking up a featherweight .308 or 30-06 pre 64 barrel and cutting it to 20" and installing on my action. I would then mount barreled action into a McMillan compact stock in mcwoody color.

Who and how much to swap barrel?
Can I put a classic take off barrel on it?

Any advice for lightening as is with existing barrel?

It is a 3/4" shooter after recent work at gunsmith.
Thanks.

posted Hide Post
One thought would be to get the current barrel reprofiled if weight is the only issue with it and you are happy with a 20" barrel. A classic barrel will work well enough but if you are going to cut it to 20" I'd stick with the original if it has some life in it.A 20: fwt barrel in a compact edge will be a bit light at the muzzle, for me anyways. I might not turn it down quite that far, trying to get a bit better balance.

Posts: 51 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can the factory barrel be reprofiled to the point that the site boss and front forearm screw mounts are gone? Who does this and is it expensive?

Since the current barrel is a shooter, I would certainly consider keeping it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One could re-profile just back to the boss and have it look OK. Just turning the front half would certainly shift the balance point back.
When swapping barrels, a pre-64 featherweight barrel will probably index correctly while a classic (post-64) will probably not.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
If you replace the stock, would you be interested in selling the old one?
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
If you eliminate the steel bottom metal and go with a blind magazinae, and install an aluminum trigger guard you will also save some weight. Beyond that, you have to start machining the action (flute the bolt, drill out the bolt handle, slab the received behind the front ring to start loosing more weight in the action.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote