Find
Notify
Tools

Brought another one home.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
This rifle was built by my GG Grandfather Peter Humbarger. Another one back in the family!

This is a classic example of a 1840's to 1850's Ohio style half stock longrifle signed by Peter Humbarger. The Humbarger family are well documented gunmakers with a number of surviving examples of their work documented. Peter I, was a gunmaker in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania from 1774 to 1791 and moved his family to Perry County, Ohio in 1802 where he purchased land in 1806 to farm and make guns. His son Peter II, 1795 to 1852, also worked as a gunsmith in Perry County Ohio in concert with his brothers Adam and Henry.

The barrel is a stout 1" octagon by 34" long. The barrel is rifled with a .35 caliber bore with seven lands and grooves with a slow twist for a round ball. The bore has clearly defined rifling with some pitting. The muzzle end of the barrel is decoratively marked with small turned ring and a outer ring of punch marks.

dancingdancingdancingdancingdancing

Peter Humbarger Rifle

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Interesting story and glad its back in your collection...nice find for you.
Enjoy!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice find

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
This rifle was built by my GG Grandfather Peter Humbarger. Another one back in the family!

The "Ohio" style is my favorite & is undoubtably the most practcal style if you want a huntimg rifle.

I built an "Ohio Valley" rifle in .50 caliber for my brother in law several years back.

I used a 36" X 7/8" .50 cal Douglas barrel. Word has it that although Douglas never made a 7/8" .50 cal barrel, this one made it out the back door as a "government project".

W/a "Roller" lock & a premium set of double set triggers, (can't remember the brand but they were top quality) it made a really nice rifle.

It was very similar to the one pictured W/the exception that the one I built had no patch box that I can remember.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Great rifle with special meaning. Looks to be in super original condition.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW! What a beauty! Congratulations!

Best,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Obviously a safe queen for the last 150 years. I don't know how it survived without being made of stainless and plastic.

You need to paint the metal and drop it in a McSwirly to make a real hunting rifle out of it.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A beautiful rifle indeed, and a treasure for your family.

But it never ceases to amaze me how those folks back then could accurately shoot those rifles when they didn't have anything to rest their cheek on due to the stock being so low in relation to the centerline of the barrel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug
How did you ever track it down?

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't even like those black powder rifles and I think this one is beautiful! wow, it's equal parts gun and art. Post more pics of it please.

I'm also very interested in the story of how it came back into the family, the history of rifles often makes them so much more enjoyable.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible history in your family and finding that piece is a treasure.

Do you have a bunch more that were built by folks in your family?

Also, let us know what your load is after you do the development Big Grin

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brad may:
Doug
How did you ever track it down?

There is a google app that you can use. I set it up to notify me of any Humbargers rifles that came up for sale.

This one came up for auction but not on the WWW. Track of The Wolf bought it at auction then put it on the Web. Thats when Google alerted us.

There are more Humbarger rifles out there. They tend to show up out west because The Humbarger gun shop was set up on the Zane trace (road used by the pioneers going west) in Sommerset Ohio & sold rifles to folks heading out west.

This is one of the more rare versions due to the short forend more silver inlets. This rifle would have sold for about $25.00 at the time & made for wealthier customers. Their "average " everyday working rifle with no inlets sold for $15.00.

PS: Nope I aint goin to paint it Forrest! Big Grin

Here is their rifling machine. Thank god it was saved Ohio Long Rifle Collectors Association & is now on display in a museum in Northern Ohio & it still works. It took 8 hours to rifle a barrel. They used either 5 or 7 grooves.

They were kind enough to let me play with it while we were there.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting history.

Congrats! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!

Doug, that's fantastic.

You have a neat family history.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Wow!!!

Doug, that's fantastic.

You have a neat family history.

Yeah JTEX to say that I'm kinda proud of it would be a gross understatement. Smiler

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug : Congratulations on the finding of a unique piece of American History !.
A very special honor indeed knowing it was crafted by a member of YOUR family , icing on the cake so to speak !!!. tu2

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote