Find
Notify
Tools

Zastava trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted
I have a Zastava M70 with a very rough, notchy trigger, with a very heavy pull. Is there anything I can do to improve the feel of this trigger?

I have stripped Jewel triggers down to their parts, smoothed them up and reassembled with no issues. But I realise the Zastava trigger is a different beast.

Interested in any options to see an improvement.

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
A Zastava isn't a Jewel. But if it the adjustable version with just a little effort it makes a decent hunting trigger. 3-3.5# with minimum creep and over travel. I have probably more Zastava than anything else.

Steve has a copy of the adjustment instructions.
http://stevespages.com/pdf/interarms_mkx.pdf

If yours has the basic Mauser trigger then not a lot you can do with it. I have several MKX triggers but I have no clue as to shipping one to you.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul

I will pull the stock over the weekend and post a picture of the trigger over the weekend to see if that helps.

Posts: 426 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had no luck adjusting the Zastava triggers; I think that to improve one to the point of acceptability you'd have to go inside it and refine the contact points. Whether that is practical I can't say.

I removed one from a Mini Mark X and replaced it with a Sako trigger (instant fit, except for relieving the wood a bit more for the different shape of the safety lever). Night and day.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I removed one from a Mini Mark X and replaced it with a Sako trigger

I haven't tried to adjust the mini. I've never had an issue getting the normal MKX (interarms) type trigger to give me an acceptable 3# break. To get the internals you have to drive out the pins I believe. Key issue is if it has the slide safety you MUST readjust it if you alter the sear enguagement.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can get the weight down low enough with a Zastava trigger, but have never been able to get the creep out using only the adjustment screws. I'm sure that the individual triggers vary, so there may be some of them that do quite well; however the ones I've worked with would require going inside to achieve an acceptable, relatively creep-free pull.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Going through my head my go too hunting rifles. One has a Timney one has a bold (I believe) the other 5 or 6 are factory MKX. I simply started using the MKX because at the time it was Timney or Canjar and I didn't have the $$ to spend on a trigger. Figured I would replace them later. Never did. Heck maybe my old fingers can't feel creep anymore. Wink

MKX triggers sell for $25-35. If I didn't have a box full and I needed a new adjustable trigger I'd probably get a Bold. Nice trigger for under $50. Only issue I have is last time I bought one I had to alter the safety to get it to look right with my stock that had been fitted for the MKX. Bolt safties no issue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K