Find
Notify
Tools

Pure Georgia Share Cropper Junk
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted
Made from material out of my junk and scrap boxes.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Very nice and handy! And accurate, I'm sure.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The jig or the barreled action?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
coffee

I had to think about it for a spell but I think I got it fathomed. I tin the barrel and sight and run the barrel into my spacer and level the bottom of the action. Then I find center of the barrel with an edge finder, slip on the sight and center the sight with the edge finder and tighten down the soldering clamp and pour the propane to it.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
The jig or the barreled action?

I would say the barreled action. Lothar Walthar, 9.3x62.

The barrel is not final fitted, only screwed in by hand, hence the gap between barrel shoulder and receiver.

Posts: 1464 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
Very nice and handy! And accurate, I'm sure.

All mating surfaces machined. So the purpose of the jig is to align the top surface of the ramp to the bottom surface of the action.

I thought of buying the Forester jig, but it is far too short.

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
That looks great (barrelled action and especially the jig). You have a very good mechanical mind for machining.

Steve.......

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's some mighty fine looking junk.

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Why is it always more fun making the jigs and fixtures, than it is using them? LOL

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
popcorn

Why is it always more fun making the jigs and fixtures, than it is using them? LOL

Because I am too old to tramp the hills and hunt big Roosevelt Bull Elk! Sort of puts a damper on making hunting rifles. The rifles I am assembling now are just to use up my accumulation of spare parts so I can get rid of the stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
quote:
popcorn

Because I am too old to tramp the hills and hunt big Roosevelt Bull Elk! Sort of puts a damper on making hunting rifles. The rifles I am assembling now is just to use up my accumulation of spare parts so I can get rid of the stuff.

I'd still rather make the jigs and fixtures like you just did than regular work. It sometimes doesn't pay as well, but it's far more interesting figuring all of that stuff out and building something that doesn't exist, than the regular routine. Not all of my hare brained ideas have worked, but most have and that's enough to keep me building them!

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WoodHunter:
quote:
popcorn

Because I am too old to tramp the hills and hunt big Roosevelt Bull Elk! Sort of puts a damper on making hunting rifles. The rifles I am assembling now is just to use up my accumulation of spare parts so I can get rid of the stuff.

I'd still rather make the jigs and fixtures like you just did than regular work. It sometimes doesn't pay as well, but it's far more interesting figuring all of that stuff out and building something that doesn't exist, than the regular routine. Not all of my hare brained ideas have worked, but most have and that's enough to keep me building them!

Yea same here, especially when there is nothing on the market to do the job the way I want!

Like the roller bearing barrel steady rest I made some 30 years ago:

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
Back when I was in school learning the basics of machining, the jigs and fixtures class was my favorite. Years later I enjoyed building them so others could use them.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've made hundreds of jigs and fixtures over the years. The last one is probably the one I should have made first. My pistol sight press. The problem with Canada is that handguns are restricted and can only be shot at a registered range. While quite popular in the major centers like Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, handgun shooting is relatively small in rural areas because it's against the law to carry them around and shoot them in the back 40. As a consequence I only change out a dozen sets of pistol sights per year. I must have spent close to $2,000 on the cheap little commercial sight presses over the last 37 years and last year I finally got a burr in my ass and built the M.O.A. sight presses. It works great, doesn't mark the sights or the slides, I can move the sights .001 at a time if I want and now that I have it, I can't understand why I waited this long to make it. I'm sure if I wanted to grind the cutters, I could also use it as a shaper to cut dovetails. But I already have a power shaper so . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Most of all, it was a lot of fun to make!

pistol sight press by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

Rod Henrickson