Find
Notify
Tools

Taming The Russian
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Here is what I do to Mosin Nagant rifles; makes them more user friendly.
This one is going to be a 500 S&W although I have put all manner of cartridges on them. (Such as 9.3x62 and 375 Flanged Mag) Especially now that we know that Mausers are death machines waiting to kill us, the Mosin is super strong.
Yes that is a Mauser Bolt handle and Boyds stock.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Especially now that we know that Mausers are death machines waiting to kill us

lol

I hope that bolt handle won't hurt anyone's feelings. You might have to send the knob out to be re-cased. And wear 2 masks while boxing it up.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good advice; I will look into that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like the action work thumb holes just not my style

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Boyds makes non thumbholes too. The owner likes these and they do work well. And are indestructible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything just doesn't have to be a $10,000 custom. There is so much room in between, and besides, who wants to get killed by one of them Mausers just lying in wait.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing the thumbhole will help tame the recoil of a light, 500 S&W rifle.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It does, but people like them because they are drop in, no gaps, and best of all, $128!
I give all the $TenK and up clients to DW. Mine are on the somewhat lower end of the scale.
And right, all Mausers will definitely kill you which is why I started building on Mosins. I threw all the Mauser actions in the scrap bin. I kept the bolt handles though. Weld them on the Russians. Now I have a pile of cut off Russian handles if anyone needs one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the Mosin is a fine action, I just can't get past how it looks. I reckon I'll just have to stick with my flimsy old death trap Mausers.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is why I move the bolt handle and weld on a bridge.
It is not to be compared to a Mauser; it is a totally different animal in every design detail.
What it does do, is handle escaping gas, very well, and has locking surfaces that Mauser never dreamed of.
They are not for everyone, or every purpose. Like every rifle design, they fit a unique niche.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One nice feature is that the locking lugs are horizontal at battery vs vertical, as in most other designs. That way the lug abutments are backed by the rails rather than nothing. The massive guide rib is indestructible. Some have an inner ring like a Mauser and some don't, I've read. They have an enclosed cartridge head feature too. I had the notion once to get rid of the heavy cocking piece by modifying the bolt to accept a Krag shroud and cocking piece. Never got around to experimenting though, and not even sure it would work. Are you doing anything with the trigger guard to streamline it and make it a bit more aesthetic?

quote:
That is why I move the bolt handle and weld on a bridge.
It is not to be compared to a Mauser; it is a totally different animal in every design detail.
What it does do, is handle escaping gas, very well, and has locking surfaces that Mauser never dreamed of.
They are not for everyone, or every purpose. Like every rifle design, they fit a unique niche.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Up until about 1942 they had the inner ring, and then they deleted it.
I use the original mag box depending on the cartridge; sometimes I just make a two shot mag in the stock. still has to be a straight line feed because of the cartridge interruptor system.
I have also made them single shot like for the 375 Flanged Mag; too long for the mag.
Definitely not going to replace the Mauser design but it is interesting anyway.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
dcpd -- I'm very pleased with the job you did putting together my .405 Grenadier. The rifle looks and shoots great.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
What would you think of a 270 or 300 wsm on a Mosin?

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it correct, that on the Mosin, the lugs are flat and cammed in by the rear of the guide rib? Thus, giving more surface area in contact with the receiver. Conversely, the sloped surface of the front ring acts as the primary extraction cam?
quote:
Up until about 1942 they had the inner ring, and then they deleted it.
I use the original mag box depending on the cartridge; sometimes I just make a two shot mag in the stock. still has to be a straight line feed because of the cartridge interruptor system.
I have also made them single shot like for the 375 Flanged Mag; too long for the mag.
Definitely not going to replace the Mauser design but it is interesting anyway.

Posts: 3788 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I've always had a thing for guns with the protruding mag, Mosins, Carcano's etc, and they can be made into really nice looking sporters....

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
political joke-

Is that all it would take to fix Putin? Weld a bolt handle on him?

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Onto his brain housing group.
Bobster; yes.
Yuma; you just reminded me of something; I have an old Fajen 91 Mannlicher stock stashed away somewhere...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd builds guns for the one percenters.... not the Elon Musk type 1%. Big Grin
Thank goodness we still have someone who will build something besides an AR platform rifle!

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
...I'm with you on that ,Tony

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Timan; the bolt face on the Mosin is .550; to do the 270 the bolt face would have to be bushed; which is not hard to do, and for the WSM; it is sloppy but the extractor will hold as is.
Yes, the 400 Grenadier is a really cool round.
Lots of possibilities for creative minds.
Warped minds.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Mosin carbine a dozen or so years ago. The trigger was pretty creepy and about a mile long, so I reworked it and refined the front sight. I zapped a coyote with it the other day 125yds off hand 174gr FMJ poked perfect hole in her heart and no pelt damage. She sprinted 30 or so yards before figuring out she was dead.
often thought of doing a bolt handle job to it.

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Timney makes a civilized trigger for them. With safety.
If you want a bolt handle, I will trade you a modified bolt with a low scope handle, for a stock one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom.
How about making one up with a Lyman 36 peep sight ?

J Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I picked up a Mosin carbine a dozen or so years ago.

30 or so years ago a 12yoa boy was given one for his first deer rifle.

His dad asked be where he should take him hunting

I told him the spot to go. 30 minutes after shooting time he shot the biggest buck of his life.

Later that season all the youngsters were complaining about being dogs/drivers.

So I told them we would have a shooting contest those that hit closest to the bull. Could take their turn as standers.

Well the young man with the Mosin stood a lot.

He out shot several adults.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I used to see them (and cut down Enfields) in the woods in the early 60s; you could order them directly from Sears and Wards for $9.95. Before the GCA of 68 made licenses required for mail order, for you young guys. Blame Oswald.
As for peep sights; could be done. But no one wants those any more. Scopes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I used to see them (and cut down Enfields) in the woods in the early 60s; you could order them directly from Sears and Wards for $9.95. Before the GCA of 68 made licenses required for mail order, for you young guys. Blame Oswald.
As for peep sights; could be done. But no one wants those any more. Scopes.

I was never any good with open sights. Most of my rifles have peep sights under their scopes, and two of the Savage 24s just have peep sights.
The Savage 24V has QD mounts, since the whole point was an antelope/sage grouse gun and scope is not needed when walking sage flats.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14631 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blame Oswald.

No blame the communist's in the Democrat and Republican parties.

They were trying long before Oswald.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Lee Harvey Oswald ordering his Carcano directly from Kleins sporting goods was the direct impetus for the GCA of 68. And of course, liberals voting for it.