Find
Notify
Tools

Search for Gunsmith...to make 264 Win Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
for me...was told to get a Ruger Hawkeye in 7mm
Rem Mag and then have said gunsmith swap out the barrels and use a 26 inch barrel with the same countour as the existing Ruger...who can do this and do it right and in somewhat less than 4 months as Hill Country Rifles has estimated...can't imagine screwing out one barrel and screwing in the replacement should take 4 frigging months....

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
there's a 264 for sale (Mark X) on the classifieds

Rich

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
can't imagine screwing out one barrel and screwing in the replacement should take 4 frigging months....

4 months ? You should feel fortunate to be offered such speedy service from a gunsmith. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gila Jorge:
who can do this and do it right and in somewhat less than 4 months as Hill Country Rifles has estimated...can't imagine screwing out one barrel and screwing in the replacement should take 4 frigging months....

Yours won't take that long, it is the other 200 in front of you.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gila Jorge: FYI: Kreiger now takes 20 weeks to deliver a barrel....Uhh...Let's see that's about five months. Lilja sez 16 weeks....(4 months) You have to send in the old barrel to copy the contour..and it's never just a "drop in"..then you have threading, chambering,. bluing and test firing...you better figure more like a year!...unless the gunsmith is busy that day, then maybe 18 months

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Four months is plenty reasonable. You might be able to get pac-nor to do it quicker.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
A few mfgs will have pre-contoured blanks in stock, but those are usually for remingtons. Four months isn't that long, but if you only have one rifle, it seems like an eternity. Right now is a particularly busy time of year, but if you put it in now, you might have it back in time for next years hunting season.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had 5 or 6 rifles done by Hll Country and love them all.

However, NOT ONE has ever been done on time. Whatever Matt tells you take with a grain of salt, then add 8-12 weeks minimum.

For me its worth the wait, but dont be in a hurry.

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unlike alot of the people here I have not had a bunch of gunsmithing done, but I can second the Pacnor comment. They were right on time with both jobs they did for me and list thier turn arround on thier website.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On Friday I received my rebarreled Remington 700 in .264 WM from Krieger. It took 8 weeks. I'm not sure that is their current wait time, but I sent in my gun in November. They also did a level 2 truing and pillar bed. I would say they did everything to my expectation but I asked for a 25" barrel and they made it 26". I'm just going to let that go because I don't want to send it back in to be cut down.

I shot it today and it groups very nicely. I tried some Remington factory 140 ammunition and some 125 Partition reloads and it liked everything I put through it. I originally asked Krieger to make the throat a little longer than factory spec, but they said they only had one reamer and couldn't do the throat separately. The 125 partitions touch the lands at 3.205" oal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane is right. Shilen is at 20 weeks now. I don't know if I would use anybody that wasn't backed up. The good ones are way behind. I do my own chambering and can't get my stuff out for myself in less than 6 months.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only real question is...Do you want it done right, or do you want it done right away? It is as simple as that.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gila I'd check with Bruno's They have 6.5 MM barrels in stock. I'd recommend Jim Kobe as the smith he's done a good job for me and has decent turn around time. Jim posts on here as jkobe. Rich

Posts: 113 | Location: WIsconsin | Registered: 22 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckboat:
On Friday I received my rebarreled Remington 700 in .264 WM from Krieger. The 125 partitions touch the lands at 3.205" oal.

Having the leade that short is a real handicap in this cartridge, especially when you have 3.6 inches availbable in your Rem 700 magazine. You should look for someone who can lengthen the throat to allow you to seat bullets out to about 3.5".

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
Originally posted by duckboat:
On Friday I received my rebarreled Remington 700 in .264 WM from Krieger. The 125 partitions touch the lands at 3.205" oal.

Having the leade that short is a real handicap in this cartridge, especially when you have 3.6 inches availbable in your Rem 700 magazine. You should look for someone who can lengthen the throat to allow you to seat bullets out to about 3.5".

That argument sounds better in theory than it works out in practice.

The 264 Win Mag has about 82-ish gr of capacity. Seating the bullet out MAY gain you 2 grains of capacity, and that is probably a stretch. The net would be about a 2% increase in case capacity (being VERY generous).

With a chambering and bullet combination that runs about 3200fps, you would be sacrificing a whopping 16fps or so.

Now, if you really want to get esoteric, by seating the bullet out farther, you are reducing the effective barrel length by .3", negating some of the minuscule gain you made by increasing capacity.

What you lose by seating the bullet out to nearly the OAL capacity of the magazine is the ability to chase the lands as the throat wears, and the ability to seat some lighter bullets close to the lands if you want play loads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idahoelk: received a fine email back from PacNor as to my spefific questions and thier quote was outstanding as to cost and work done and total elapsed time...also while wait in line can get rifle ordered and in here and then shipped to them, if I pay a commitment fee of 200 or the 540 quoted..darn fine outfit...and answered all my questions to boot...going with them...now will get the other 7mmRM and they will make the new barrel contoured to the old so it will drop fit into the stock...the quote is for their SS Super Match which is the best barrel they offer...26in length...loving this outfit already...thanks one and all...

Posts: 184 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote