New
Find
Notify
Tools

rust bluing question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
when rust bluing what do you do to protect threaded holes, like guard screw ,scope mount holes?

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert, but I have just made sure to "card" them with something small enough to fit in the hole. Pipe cleaner, small wire brush, etc.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The short answer is nothing, don't worry about them. The same goes for the bore, don't plug, just fire a hair dryer or heat gun down there after each boil to dry.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metal:
The short answer is nothing, don't worry about them. The same goes for the bore, don't plug, just fire a hair dryer or heat gun down there after each boil to dry.

I would agree that the holes and threads don't need any extra care. The places that done receive the acid solution won't rust to any great degree

There is some disagreement on what should be done with the bore while rust-bluing, and while I have no opinion on how the bore should be protected I will say that a heat gun IS NOT a good idea for drying the bore. Heating water until it evaporates WILL cause rust. A better method would be a quick blast of compressed air. Or better yet, run a cotton patch or two down the bore.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen!

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never plugged holes. As far as plugging the bore, I have, but don't think it's really necessary. Best way to dry the bore is with a clean patch as soon as it comes out of the boil tank, residual heat will do the rest.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just follow the instructions given by Mr Phil Pilkington,drive water drops away with a hair dryer and be wary of compressed air as it can have oil mist in the blown air.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't plug the barrel when I blue. After the boil, the bore drys instantly. Once the metal is cool enough to handle, I just run a patch down the bore to clean out the crud then carry on with the next cycle.

If It Doesn't Feed, It's Junk.

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote