Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1917 enfield damaged bullet tips
 Login/Join

posted
Bought mine sporterized 50 yrs ago at MONTGOMERY WARDS.It's let the air out of a lot of game. It's had a problem from the beginning when cycling (ejecting) unfired hunting rounds (soft points) from the BLIND Box Magazine. It cuts a divot out of the bullet tip.
I've noticed on big-bore conversions that many have notched/machined the ejector port area to make room for the longer cartridges. Is this, on a smaller scale, what needs to be done to my 30.06 sporter to avoid tip damage?

Posts: 3 | Location: Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: 13 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Usually nothing; check your ejector length; an aftermarket ejector blade might be too long.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its no problem to lengthen the magazine, depending on caliber..also you can solder on horizontal bars in the magazine box to keep cartridges in place. Somebody used to make such a kit, but any smith should be able to do this, the bars make contact with the shoulder to stop forward movement,they also enhance feeding.

Last but not least seat your bullets deeper if your handloading and follow dpcd's suggestion.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I answered you on another forum. I don't have a problem with my 416 Rigby and posted a pic.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote