New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Bedding vs binding
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What would be the best way to determine if bedding job is causing any bindng of action or barrel?"

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the barrel is free floated you should be able to slide a dollar from the front of the stock to the action freely. On a recoil lug is where I have found the most problems with a poor bedding job. Check the bottom, sides, front and back with dykem to see if the recoil lug is bottoming out or is bound. It would help to know what rifle you are dealing with. Smiler

Posts: 84 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Sorry but .004" (Approx thickness of a US bill) clearance is not enough for a free floated barrel.

.030" or more on a free floated barrel. depending on the wood and the purpose of the rifle. i.e. on a full tactical tupper ware stock .060" would be fine. But a nice custom would have minimal clearance.

Now as for the binding when you put the action into the stock it should seat firmly with some effort to get it to bottom out. Then when the action screw are snugged up there should be no feel of tension building. The screw should snug up an go tight quick. If it feel different it mean the action is not sitting all the way down and the screws are bending the action.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fbull:
What would be the best way to determine if bedding job is causing any bindng of action or barrel?"

The quick and dirty way to check for binding would be to tighten the guard screws, and then systematically loosen and tighten the front guard screw while wrapping your free hand around the barrel and forend to feel for ANY movement as you loosen and then re-tighten the screw. If the action is stressed you will feel it as you loosen and tighten the screw.

Other equally effective methods use diffraction rings or a scope collimator to help detect stress.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
Sorry but .004" (Approx thickness of a US bill) clearance is not enough for a free floated barrel.

.030" or more on a free floated barrel. depending on the wood and the purpose of the rifle. i.e. on a full tactical tupper ware stock .060" would be fine. But a nice custom would have minimal clearance.

Now as for the binding when you put the action into the stock it should seat firmly with some effort to get it to bottom out. Then when the action screw are snugged up there should be no feel of tension building. The screw should snug up an go tight quick. If it feel different it mean the action is not sitting all the way down and the screws are bending the action.

for what its worth (nothing), i agree. for years i was a staunch advocate of the dollar bill method, and living in the desert w/no humidity it worked fine. now that i live in a humid climate i have seen bbls. that look great close to the stock but actually touch the bbl. channel which was not the desired result of free floating the bbl. now i do it a min. of .050" when gouging out bbl. channels. the old dollar bill trick simply won't be enough. or at least it hasn't been for me. but i sure used in the past!

Posts: 1546 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The comments form john c. is sort of what caused my initial question. Thanks for the responses.

Now next question - what could / would be the effects if material was not removed from the barrel channel of the stock. Only layers of tape used to create the gap between barrel and stock. This is what drove my original question.

Thanks to all

Posts: 110 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: 13 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now next question - what could / would be the effects if material was not removed from the barrel channel of the stock. Only layers of tape used to create the gap between barrel and stock. This is what drove my original question.

Thanks to all

You might have something there. Duct tape is some amazing stuff. If you're plan on taping your way up and away from the stock you're going to need longer screws.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i tried the duct tape method, but didnit get enuf release agent on the tape. that was not much fun. what works better than duct tape is a thick poly tape. what i've been using is a yellow tape that plumbers use when they bury plain pipe. they cover the pipe with this thick pvc tape

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
The quick and dirty way to check for binding would be to tighten the guard screws, and then systematically loosen and tighten the front guard screw while wrapping your free hand around the barrel and forend to feel for ANY movement as you loosen and then re-tighten the screw. If the action is stressed you will feel it as you loosen and tighten the screw.

I've seen a more precise rendition of this method where the hand is replaced by a dial indicator attached to the fore-end of the stock.

quote:

Thanks to all

Longer screws, and it'll elevate the barreled action in the stock (messes with fit top AND bottom). I vastly prefer removing the necessary material from the barrel channel and wrapping electrical tape at two points to keep the barreled action centered and leveled versus simply elevating the metal in the stock and keeping the b.c. as-is.

My two cents...

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on removing enough stock material and using the tape to center the bbl and THEN bedding. this is what will get you where you want to go.

Posts: 1546 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote