New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality 3 position Mauser Safety??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any suggestions as to good source for 3 way/side safety for M98?? Hear good and bad about certain mfg's?? All feedback appreciated.
martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Gentry for my MarkX Mini-Mauser and it went right on with no fitting other than aletering the cocking piece to make the safety work. The threads fit with no lapping and it is finished very nicely. I'm sure that there are others just as good.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've used most of them and can tell you once installed they all work about the same. I would suggest you find a good quality gunsmith first to install it and buy the one he likes using.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the ones I've used had good heat treat on the levers. Pick the one you like and be sure you gunsmith has done a few.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
IMHO, when speaking of safeties, quality and Gentry have no business beingin the same sentance unless of course you mean to describe the lack thereof.

Satterlee and Lapour make nice units. Otherwise, I'd convert the military shroud into a 2 position.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
IMHO, when speaking of safeties, quality and Gentry have no business beingin the same sentance unless of course you mean to describe the lack thereof.

Satterlee and Lapour make nice units. Otherwise, I'd convert the military shroud into a 2 position.

I've got two of the two position ones left.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Jim,
I'll take one of them and you have PM.

Thanks,

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned the top two: La Pour and Recknagel. I've had mixed results with Gentry...some go right on..others are so far off "battery" and fit they are unuseable.

Still...the Gentry is probably the nicest looking.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
I'm amazed that nobody has mentioned the top two: La Pour and Recknagel. I've had mixed results with Gentry...some go right on..others are so far off "battery" and fit they are unuseable.

Still...the Gentry is probably the nicest looking.

Hmm, I seem to remember recommending the Lapour. I like Satterlee's too. I have a Recknagel here to install but have not yet done so. It looks well made.

I've run into all sorts of issues with the Gentry. The clearance cut on the safety lever has been off, not allowing the cocking piece to enter the tunnel. The indexing has been off. And, in one case the threads started too soon so that the shroud would not fit as close to the receiver as it should. The result, the locking pin barely engaged the rear of the bolt. They may be inexpensive, but cheap also comes to mind.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hmm, I seem to remember recommending the Lapour

Yep you mentioned the Lapour but not the La Pour. Big Grin When you get to be my age I can read a message 3 times and read it different each and every time. Roll Eyes

I've tried Gentry and wasn't happy. My $$ goes for the La Pour.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
I have Lapour's safeties on Mausers and 1903s and a Jasper Rabourn on a Mauser. I'm very happy with them and can't think of any reason to use another maker's product, but the advice provided earlier to use the safety your gunsmith likes to install is good advice.

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the LaPour the same as the ones Jim Wisner used to make?

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the LaPour the same as the ones Jim Wisner used to make?

That is my understanding. coffee

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Jim's/Ed's product exclusively.
They work, and can be made to do so quietly.
I'm no big dog, but I can surely spend money like one.

Even have one on a Remington LTR. This hobby isn't cheap; pick and choose carefully and warn the faint of heart to stary home.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote