New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case coloring
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey folks, I've been kicking this idea around for some time and would like to check with the folks that may have some time under their belt with processes like I'm looking for. I have a Mauser action that I would like to case color, the hardness is in the realm of 38-40 Rc but I'd like to do something different than just the normal blueing. I guess it would really come down to affordability as this is not going to be a showpiece but a hunting rifle but something with a little class would be nice. I have also heard of folks painting the color on the receiver? might be an option. Thanks for your replies in advance. Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a carbonia bluing from Classic Guns in Beecher, Ill. I send many of my client guns to them and have always been very pleased with results --- am shipping two Colt SAA to them Mon. , a Rem pump and Contender to them by the end of the week. Fri, they received a Borchardt from me for same treatment. FWIW, Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288

Posts: 15 | Location: Robersonville, N.C. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
See what Classic Guns is going to charge you, it's not going to be a ton. I'm sending an O/U receiver to them at the end of the month.

I think a really nice addition to a CC'ed bolty is to buy steel scope mounts and rings, and get them CC'ed too.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The plan is to have a mix of old and new, I don't know if I want to use a CM barrel and just blue it or go with a SS barrel? this is on a little 6.5 x 55 Swede I have been toying with when I have extra money and time which has not been nearly enough here lately!

Do you guys have contact information for Classic Guns? Later and thanks.

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The ph. # for Classic is 708-946-6141, ask for John Gillette --- he does all my work and is great ?? Tell him Ken sent you please. Ken

Ken Hurst
910-221-5288

Posts: 15 | Location: Robersonville, N.C. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their E-Mail is info@classicgunsinc.com

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure wouldn't want a case colored receiver mixed with a stainless barrel. That would be like putting a Weatherby style stock on a double rifle.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the contact info folks! jstevens I'm up for suggestions, everything is still in the unfinished stage I just gotta pull the barrel when I get it's replacement which has not been ordered as of yet. Later,

Kirk