New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hole in CZ bolt handle tip; why? A fix?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody know of, or might be able and willing to make, a steel plug that would fit into the hole in the end of the CZ 550 Safari Magnum bolt handle? I'd sure like to buy such a plug. In my view, the bolt would look much better without that hole, and why do they do that to the bolt handle anyway???

Posts: 202 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
akriet

I'm not familiar with the CZ bolt handle but from your description I assume the hole is in the end of the knob similar to the pre-64 Winchester M70? Here's what I did with my M70 - fill the hole with a piece of ivory. Does two things. gets rid of the hole and adds a little class to the rifle. I've also seen some where the owner filled the hole with a brass plug. Looks good polished bright.

I always assumed the hole was to save weight but I'm probably wrong since that little hole wouldn't weigh much.

Ray

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to fill mine with a piece of walnut from the stock I'm making for my 416, that hole bothers me for some reason and I'm not real pickly.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'd do the same thing, put in a piece of wood that has the same coloring as the stock.

Posts: 7764 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'll try the brass or wood. Glad I'm not the only one who is bothered by this.

Posts: 202 | Location: in & of Dixie | Registered: 17 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think a larger and longer knob would be nice on the CZ. Anyone ever try to fit one on somehow using the hole as the anchor point?

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Kymble
posted Hide Post
I'm not a 100% certain on this, but I believe the hole in the bolt handle is to allow a gloved hand to gain some purchase. I could be wrong though?

Posts: 129 | Location: Brisbane. Queensland. Australia. | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately ugly bolt handles. When I finally get around to buying one (when the 505 arrives) I will promptly cut it off and have a Talley welded on, downward at 70 degrees and no backsweep.

The only Euro bolt handles I like are spoons and the Oberndorf style.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I like cheechako's recommendation. In fact, I have seen quite a few bolt-handle holes that were pulgged with ivory. This is a "classic solution".

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
This is a ZKK bolt (predecessor to the CZ550). Bolt handle straightened, steel plug welded into place, polished and reblued:

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dislike the short skimpy CZ bolt...A Talley looks really nice and thats what I recommend..It is just as easy to tig a $6.00 Talley bolt on as it is to try and modify an existing bolt IMO...and it looks a lot better squared off at the top.

Posts: 42012 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I put a red rhinestone in mine! Or was it german silver?

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The factory bolt handle isn't short, particularly after it is straightened, it is already squared off at the top, to my knowledge the bolt handle is integral to the bolt body thus making it stronger than a welded on job, and I prefer the straight tear drop Oberndorf look. To each his own.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote