THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone change a bolt handle on Montana 1999?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
I'm wondering if anyone has cut off and replaced one of these yet?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was considering it, but my gunsmith advised against it. The bolt is made from 416 stainless and requires a TIG welder to put anything on it, such as a tactical handle.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done this in my shop. I cut off the smaller bolt knob, amd tig welded on a larger diameter knob, and also added a little length to the bolt handle in the process. When it was finished, it looked as if it were made that way.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 51 | Location: canyon lake,texas | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tip burns:
I have done this in my shop. I cut off the smaller bolt knob, amd tig welded on a larger diameter knob, and also added a little length to the bolt handle in the process. When it was finished, it looked as if it were made that way.
Hope this helps.

Hows about a photo?

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of purchasing a M1999 short action and want a Mauser-Oberndorf pear shaped handle that comes right to the front 1/3 of the trigger gaurd and has half of the knob past the bottom metal/wood line.

I will be interested in anyones experiences. Mine will not be stainless, but rather moly.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote