New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 whelen imp
 Login/Join

<STARTING BIG BORE>
posted
I have a pre chambered and threaded barrel for standard 35 w. I was thinking of turning it in to a 35 w imp. Will i have to re thread it or will the imp reamer remove all of the old chamber. This going on a mauser. [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
You're going to have to give us a few more measurements before we can give you a real accurate answer, but just off the cuff, I would say that you'll probably have to cut the barrel back a thread, and re-chamber. A lot depends on the shank length, and the depth to the internal shoulder on the mauser action. Sometimes on these short chambered barrels you can get away with just the reamer. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If it is a short chambered barrel, then the improved chamber will clean up and finish what's already been removed. If it is fully chambered, it will need to be set back one thread, as the shoulder on the improved case is slightly set back from the std shoulder, so that std whelen cases will create a mini crush fit shoulder when chambered.

To properly fit a barrel to a mauser, the barrel needs to bear at both the face and shoulder of the barrel. There are some dimensional differences between the various mausers, so some cutting of the barrel will be required.

Last thing is there are two different dia's of thread, and if you have a turk mauser, which is a large ring 98, it has the smaller dia small ring mauser threading, so the barrel would need re-threading to fit.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Better check the sear, guess the my Army Navy mouse doubled on me [Wink]

[ 10-09-2002, 02:25: Message edited by: Paul H ]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote