New
Find
Notify
Tools

mauser ? on 500 Jeffery
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can a 500 jeffery be built on a Standard length 98 thats been made for a 300 win mag ? I can get an action at reasonable price ,but wondered there might be any unforseen problems with it? or is it better starting with a 30-06 headsize action ,thanks for any advice

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! The 500 Jeff was designed to specifically fit the 98..A large diameter case that required a rebated rim to fit the standard .700 bolt diameter. The 500 was finally standardized by CIP in 2000 and if you have this action baralled, you should make sure the reamers and gages confirm to CIP standards. The bolt face of the 300 Win Mag must be opened further for the 500. I love this cartridge, it has more energy than the 458, 458 Lott, 450 Dakota 500 Nitro, 505 Gibbs and comes within a squeak of the mighty 600..make sure you use Horneber brass...Loud-n-Boomer might he willing to give you some more insight into this cartridge, with reloading data he developed

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Check out this website. www.sabirifles.co.za/ I was over there in 2004 and stopped at their shop. They specialize in making fine custom rifles and I saw at least three .500 Jeffries on former military 98 Mausers.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of building one now.

However, I started with a Mauser (Whitworth) already chambered for a longer cartridge, the 300 Weatherby.

You can skip some steps if you begin with a Mauser action being used for the 375 H&H, 300 H&H, or similar length cartridges.

Mine is essentially done except for the triggerguard and magazine I'm waiting on from SunnyHill.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure can and it makes up into a dandy rifle. I have had a couple of them. For me the recoil was the problem, its just a tad much. I don't need that at my age, stiff neck and all that goes with shooting the big boomers for years.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 300 H&H is over .100 longer than the 500 Jeff...I'd rather leave as much locking lug recess material as possible...therefore, I'd rather start with a standard length or short mag and only open up as far as necessary

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duane thanks for the advice ,i will give the 300 win action a miss ,and look for another action

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Tankhunter, I think Duane is saying that using an action opened to 300 Win Mag dimensions is fine but he would avoid one that has been opened to 300 H&H Mag dimensions.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Forrest...yes, that's exactly what I meant. Lengthwise, an action that has been opened up to 300 H&H is already been opened more than necessary...you're fine with a 300 Win action (assuming everything's been set up properly)