Find
Notify
Tools

What options for Mauser 98 Actions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted
If someone was thinking of building new Mauser 98 actions, what options and features would you want to see included?

This is a serious question that could lead to the availability of an excellent Mauser 98 clone for custom rifle projects; so please feel free to list your ultimate wish list of Mauser 98 improvements.

And how much interest would there be in a true magnum length action, with drop magazine, square bridged receiver and available at a very reasonable price?

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I think the main thing I would be interested in is a true magnum length. I had a custom built on a VZ24 action which arrived in December, a Dumoulin built on a commercial FN action and a Ruger 77. I really like the setup of the Ruger with integral bases, other than length standard Mauser 98 is good for me.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob Goldsmith once said "If you see a bandwagon, it's too late"

I think the Montana Rifleman mob are well ahead with their LH and RH, Short, Long and Magnum length Montana Mauser action development program. If these guys succeed, (and judging from the response they will), it will be very difficult to compete - they are talking $465 for a long action. The actions will be investment cast by Ruger.

Don't let this put you off!!! If you can bring something better to the table by all means do so!!!

Here in South Africa Vektor are making Magnum length Double Square Bridge Mausers (The rarest of the rare) but they have torn the arse out of it with their pricing.

Where there is a nice niche is the "mini-Mauser action" market where you make a small mauser suitable for 22 hornet 222, 223 and 6X45. Zastava do this but it is not a proper mauser.

Features I'd like:

Good trigger
Extractor can slip over a chambered round
3 pos safety (side swing)
Drop mag for the big bores
No thumb slot
Hex head screws
Deeper, thicker recoil Lug
slightly longer barrel thread area
Front screw screws into the action flat not the recoil lug itself (leave room for a Xbolt and pillars)
Less complicated ejection blade setup
Bolt handle shaped like pre 64 Winchester

Mag box separate from floorplate.

I'd leave the other features as is, they are what makes the Mauser a Mauser.

That about covers it

Cheers

pete

Cheers

pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
Low mounted 3 position safety. Hinged floor plate. Integral scope base with low mount rings. Adjustable trigger. Control round feed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pre 64 M70! Oh thats right there already are 500,000 of them.

In that case make it like a Dakota 76 or maybe a M70 Classic or a ............................

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I would like a thick bolt (.750) and, like I told Matt, no buttugly groves through the bridge. CZ/BRNO got it PERFECT, in shape, and should have allowed for set screws or indexing for the scope bases.

I like hinged floorplate, but button/release OUTSIDE the bow, not in the trigger...If you like, a removable box (clip) like browning would be great

I have an interest (just my thought at the moment) of a remington type barrel/washer recoil lug AND a bridge action. as far as action recoil goes, I like the winchester style... not the screw.

I think that you can offer a winchester like solution, with a great big ole action, that can feed pipsqueek rounds, but is meant for a biggin.

Carbon steel, no stainless...

jeffe

Posts: 39567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Fireplug>
posted
A copy of the original Kurz Mauser could make me very happy.

Fireplug

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with fireplug. A true Kurz-length Mauser action would be nice. Perhaps a baby magnum mauser version for the new WSM rounds?

Posts: 163 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Duplicate the 1933 Kurtz with a single rear square bridge.........and the Granite Mountain Magnum.

ANY feature (and there's a dozen that people usually don't see) left off the action just denigrates it. There's nothing left to do to an early '30s commercial M-98. They were perfect in every way.

one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll sit down and work through this list and see what we come up with. Some of these ideas I already had in the back of my mind but others are new to me. Hopefully, in the not too distant future, you may see some of these ideas available for sale at a very reasonable price.

[ 01-14-2003, 09:47: Message edited by: BwanaBob ]

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mauser416>
posted
An Oberndorf/Butterknife bolt handle would be a nice option. I too am partial to the double square bridge.

Eric