Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 scope mount issue....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I recently purchased a used Model 70 Classic Stainless in 375 H&H. I am trying to find some Leupold scope bases, but I'm having some trouble. I bought some bases at Academy that were for a "Model 70 post-64" action.....but they did not fit.

This is a New Haven, CT gun with controlled round feed. So, what exactly do they consider this? Obviously these are not true "Pre-64" guns....but they are CRF guns.

It is something I've often wondered about and figured I would ask the experts here. I apologize if it is a dumb question....

Also, what would most of your prefer as a scope base for the 375?....a traditional Leupold base, or a Weaver style base?

Many thanks.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Some of the magnum-length post-64s have different rear-hole scope mount spacing than the regular actions. You need to make sure it is spec'd for the right spacing (.330?).

Many people like the Talley QD mounts, just make sure they are not so tall they get in the way of your sights. Otherwise, the Weaver-type seem to work fine.

I have not used the Leupold QD (as opposed to the Leupold QRWs) but some here say that they will wear if removed frequently.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had zero issues on post-64 classics with Talleys.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have old Warne's on mine.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need post 64 express bases with the .330" spacing.

Pre 64 H&H take .435" spacing

All the other standard pre 64 and post 64 70's are .860" I think.

I don't know whatthe WSM and WSSM spacings are.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1619 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the leupold mount chart you'll see several catagories, the one you're looking for will say this:

Winchester 70 Express Post 1964 (.330 Rear Mount Hole
Spacing for .458 Win., .416 Rem, .375 H&H, .300 Weatherby,
.300 H&H magnums, and 7mm STW)

The part number for the standard leupold bases is 50378 (matte finish), for the dual dovetail bases it's 54240.

I've got a M70 stainless .375 H&H & I've got Talley Quick Release bases and rings on it, I prefer them over the leupolds. I don't know the part numbers for them but if you contact talley at 803-854-5700 they'll tell you what to order.