Find
Notify
Tools

25-284 standard throat & MRC S/A
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Howdy guys,

Will a standard throat allow for using the full mag box length (3.1")in the Montana actions?

Are there any advantages to seating the bullets out to the MRC length over the 2.8ish in
a Rem.700?

If it does benefit velocity or accuracy will I
give up much versatility in lighter (75gr) pills if it's throated for 100 gr. Barnes XLC's?

This is my first attempt at a custom rifle & all input will be appreciated. Thanks, Bruce

Posts: 45 | Location: DFDubya Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oulufinn:
Howdy guys,

Will a standard throat allow for using the full mag box length (3.1")in the Montana actions?

Are there any advantages to seating the bullets out to the MRC length over the 2.8ish in
a Rem.700?

If it does benefit velocity or accuracy will I
give up much versatility in lighter (75gr) pills if it's throated for 100 gr. Barnes XLC's?

This is my first attempt at a custom rifle & all input will be appreciated. Thanks, Bruce

The magazine length on our short action is going to be 3.125" or 3 1/8" whichever unit of measure suits you best.
Before we decided to go with this length instead of the standard 2.8" we asked numerous gunsmiths, hunters etc about what length they would like to see in a short action. And the resounding answer was 3 1/8".
The benefit of this is that you will be able to seat your bullets out to their ideal length or intended length. And if your cartridge is shorter than the 3.125" it will still function extremely well through our magazine boxes.

[ 07-09-2003, 20:14: Message edited by: Dan@Montana Rifle Co ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used and loaded for a .25-284 built on an FN commercial with a 3.35" (appx) magazine box. The cartridge, especially with 120 grain boattails, is far from "lost" in that magazine. The 3.125" Montana magazine would seem about perfect, and much more versatile than a 2.8-incher.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your info Dan & Stonecreek. This project is starting to get more interesting as the actions get closer to shipping! [Eek!]

Posts: 45 | Location: DFDubya Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote