New
Find
Notify
Tools

New (to me) reamers.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm starting to save up for a couple (Kiff or Henricksen) reamers. 9.3 x 70 (.366/404J improved[slightly, anyway]), and 8 x 68S (+ a 9.3 throater).

If anyone wants a piece of the action, let me know please. I reckon (that) an $80.00 USD contribution to the cause earns one the right to quibble about a few tenths here and there....

We can arrange for form, resize and seating dies at the same time. Hornady seems to be making a play for some of that business by providing turn around times measured in days instead of seasons of the year.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
just curoius on how you split the reamer? Each gets a half? Do you split if longitudinally or latterally?

In a serious note, how are you really sharing the reamers? Each person keeps it until the other needs it?

Reamers, throaters, range/indicating rods, and headspace gauges sure eat into a metalman's shop account, don't they!!!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My mentor has told me literally at least 100 times that if he is in the shop and it catches fire, he is going to yank the reamer/throater/rods/head space gauge cabinet and haul ass out of the shop before it gets too hot.

He is literally trying to figure out how to securely hold the heavy metal cabinet have some sort of quick-release mechanism so he can save it if there is a fire. You would not believe how much money he has in the little wood cabinet.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
My mentor has told me literally at least 100 times that if he is in the shop and it catches fire, he is going to yank the reamer/throater/rods/head space gauge cabinet and haul ass out of the shop before it gets too hot.

He is literally trying to figure out how to securely hold the heavy metal cabinet have some sort of quick-release mechanism so he can save it if there is a fire. You would not believe how much money he has in the little wood cabinet.

Steel casters, a handle, welding gloves and a clear path would be a good start. Big Grin

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart,

check your PM box. I do have a 6.5x68S based 25 caliber improved reamer. 257 Banshee by name. It would be okay to use with a bigger bore neck cutter/throating reamer.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of my minor (and sometimes major) surgical instruments are made by a German company called Milltex. $155.00 USD for a small pair of scissors, $140.00 for a suture needle holder/driver, and so on. ~$9,000.00 in a couple of shoe boxes (size wise).

Obviously, you can't realistically share a 300 Win Mag reamer with someone else (although you could probably share a 300 WSM these days). Also, I don't really want to share those beautiful and expensive reamers gathering dust in the second to top drawer in the Kennedy bench. But. Some of that money is much better spent on tools and bits that will be used frequently.

I guess the 9.3 x 63, 22/50BMG, 219 Zipperhead Improved, and such like jointly owned but seldom used reamers get stored at whomever's place has the most resistance to fire, and the biggest lock to keep "friends" out of the reamer box.

We can't plan TOO well for the unfortunate possibility of a fire; the insurance company adjuster will look at us through a squinted eye.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not have a small (meaning smaller than a long gun safe) fireproof safe for them if they account for such a large portion of tooling costs? I would think that since some reamers are special items (for older smiths I guess this would be more often possible) the ability to replace is more important than the cost. so insurance would be little consolation.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn good idea!

Small safes with very thick walls are available to protect documents from fire damage.

Good place to hide your nuts when the old lady is after you with a blow torch in one hand, and a pissed off look in her one good eye...