Find
Notify
Tools

Help Me Buy A Gun Vise
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
I have been looking at gun vises for cleaning and mounting scopes ect. on rifles lately. I want a good one. who sells the good ones? I would rather not buy plastic but please let me know. I have been looking in Cabelas and Midway.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I have been looking at gun vises for cleaning and mounting scopes ect. on rifles lately. I want a good one. who sells the good ones? I would rather not buy plastic but please let me know. I have been looking in Cabelas and Midway.

I think for what you describe a good stand/rest would serve you better than a vise...just my opinion.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Ted,

I've got the standard red MTM gun cleaning station and it has served me well for cleaning, mounting scopes, and bedding stocks. Granted, it ain't great, but for price, it will take a fair amount of abuse and keep on truckin'. Its also lightweight and travels easily to the range. In short, its good for just about everything I use it for.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I too have a MTM cleaning stand and it works pretty well. A couple months ago, I bought the new Tipton Best Gun Vise and am very happy with it (although quite expensive). It works great for ALL types of guns (including break open), is easily adjustable, stable, and clamps the gun in place.

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fwiw & imho,
www.bisleyvise.com

I've had mine for two years and could not be happier. They're made by Prechtl of Germany. The same gent who make the Magnum Mauser for Mauser and Johannsen, etc...

Regards, Matt.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
for MATT IN VIRGINIA: Thank you for posting. I was at their booth at the 05 Shot Show and was really impressed but did not find them this year and was actually planning on buying their vise then. I had one question: SEEING THE MAX OPENING BEING RELATIVELY SMALL HAVE YOU HAD MANY OCCASIONS WHERE YOU COULD NOT FIT A GIVEN GUN PART OR RECEIVER IN YOUR VICE? THANK YOU

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Bisely vice and I like it...but it is not a real versatile piece of gear, and it is definitely not for a guy that just wants to have one vice on his bench.

It is pretty much designed to hold a rifle by the forearm, period, end of story.

I use my pattern makers vice far more often because of its ease of holding just about any size and shaped object.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I have the Tipton, for cleaning and mounting scopes it is good. I have done a little stock work on it and it also works fine for that.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELKMAN2:
I have the Tipton, for cleaning and mounting scopes it is good. I have done a little stock work on it and it also works fine for that.

That’s a really nice rig and has the added advantage of being able to go where you go.

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
versa vise!
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
versa vise!
gunmaker

Who sells it?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to a import copy of versa-vise.
Woodworker's Supply

It's not a Versa. I think they went out of business. Brownells sells a similar one for lots of money, but if you take a little time fitting the locking brake to the swivel post the chinese ones work very well. I use a chinese one at work and have two older Versa-vises at home. as far as I can tell the china ones are well worth the money.
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
woodworker's supply also sells the pattern makers vise.
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I use that vise every day at work.

Here is a link to that pattern makers vise.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=801-802

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Everything you guy have gave me is great I now can get a high end steel bench vise for my shop that will double for other chores and a plastic cradle style vise for the range.