Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77MK1 bedding?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted
Just curious how most people are bedding the M77MK1. It appears that the action currently has 3 points of contact with the stock: the recoil lug area, the tang, and midway through the action there is contact on both sides between the action and the stock, very near the front screw for the trigger guard. Furthermore, it appears that the contact patch in the tang area is rather small in comparison to other actions and it would seem that the contact in the middle of the receiver would be helpful in sharing the load. In summary, do you normally bed the center contact area on this action?

All replies appreciated.

Thanks.
Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'm not a pro but have bedded one of my own M77 at the recoil lug area. I was trying to imitate the bedding done by a pro on my M77 in.338 that shoots very well.
My bedding job wasn't nearly as perfect but did make a notable difference.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About 20 years ago when I was in College one of my hobbies was tuning used Ruger m77 Varmints(mostly .220 Swifts) into decent long range Coyote rigs.

I Skim bedded a bunch of them.Basically, I floated the barrel,and then bedded the action all along it's contact surfaces with Devcon 2-TON clear two part epoxy(from Walmart).It worked like a charm then and still does today.

It's great way to see just HOW improving the bedding will affect the rifle without investing a ton of $$$ and/or time in a full blown accraglass/pillar bedding job.

As a matter of fact, I am about to rebed my new/used m700 .22-250 VLS the same way in a few days..