Find
Notify
Tools

mauser markings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
BYF

So marked on top of the receiver. I looked this up and found it was Oberndorf 1943. Is this a good action?

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was when it left the factory. I'd judge it by its current condition though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Condition is great, I was more concerned with its quality as the war was wrapping up.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
byf is the Mauser production code; it was manufactured by Mauser, in 1943- probably early enough manufacture to not be affected by war production shortcuts. if the exterior finish is good, the rest of it probably is.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tin can:
byf is the Mauser production code; it was manufactured by Mauser, in 1943- probably early enough manufacture to not be affected by war production shortcuts. if the exterior finish is good, the rest of it probably is.

By 1943, things were just beginning to get tough on the Krauts in Russia, but the invasion of France was still a year off, and the allied strategic bombing campaign had not seriously degraded their war production yet. 1943 Mausers should still be pretty good..... (except for the ones made by slave labor, which may have been sabotaged....)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote