THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK walnut Buffs, Where to get Walnut Like ThiS?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Yes, I want it all!.....,color,contrast,streaks,layout, hard,dense,dry....& somewhere genuine to buy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The gettin place

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I was gonna say out of a tree fishing,,,,,but, Turkey would be a good place to start your search.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Check Denli - he has had some nice sticks in the past - the Silver Lining Rifle used one of his blanks, and the rifle for my son's project is matched pair to that one.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem I've encountered with wood (and hardest lesson learned) has been the moisture content.

I'm currently looking at 4, expensive, "dry" blanks that all meter about 12%.

I now own a moisture meter and test any blank before I accept it... buyer beware.

I have, however, purchased two blanks from old world walnut www.oldworldwalnut.com and both of those measure 8-9%.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I beleive that rifle is the .500 Jeffery Steve Heilmann had at his table in Reno last January. I have two similar blanks I bought from him so he would be a good place to start.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Isn't the moisture content of a blank going to stabilize at whatever your environment dictates once it arrives? I'm not a expert by any means but it seems moisture content alone may be over rated as the sole means of judging a blank "ready".

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have gotten three Black Walnut blanks from Watts Walnut.

I have been very pleased with the results.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
Isn't the moisture content of a blank going to stabilize at whatever your environment dictates once it arrives? I'm not a expert by any means but it seems moisture content alone may be over rated as the sole means of judging a blank "ready".

dempsey - here is a good thread to read.

DArcy_Echols_Co's comments are good.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=324109487#324109487

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dresslers

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link NG. D'Arcy's comments are always worth reading.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
new_guy, thanks, I missed that one. I'm still curious though if I received a blank, regardless of drying method, that is 8% upon arrival, and held onto to it for awhile if it may not read 12% later due to local conditions. Say I buy a blank from a dealer in Vegas and live on the coast in Oregon will it hold it's moisture reading or go up? I really don't know what is best. I generally try to buy a blank that is sold as dry and let it hang for a few years before I use it and cross my fingers.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wood is ALIVE in terms of absorbing moisture until an equilibrium point is found which people often and mistakenly refer to as AIR DRIED !.

Unless the wood is completely sealed wood never stops the process . Wet damp hot Humid it absorbs dry cold or hotter than the desert dry it loses . Any species of wood is considered Kiln Dry at 6.5% and will gain back between 1-3% moisture under Normal circumstances .

Any blank which is 12% or under is 98% of the time safe to purchase . Using it for a stock I would like it dried down to 8% or under.

I know some professional stock makers are probably going to slam me on this .

I've only got near 40 years in purveying fine hardwoods from the world over . ALL shapes and configurations Logs too Veneers and everything in between .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I have always done business with Adam Freeman at Luxus Walnut. he is more than fair and a AR member.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dempsey:
new_guy, thanks, I missed that one. I'm still curious though if I received a blank, regardless of drying method, that is 8% upon arrival, and held onto to it for awhile if it may not read 12% later due to local conditions. Say I buy a blank from a dealer in Vegas and live on the coast in Oregon will it hold it's moisture reading or go up? I really don't know what is best. I generally try to buy a blank that is sold as dry and let it hang for a few years before I use it and cross my fingers.

dempsey - Dr. K can provide a better answer than I can.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
Any blank which is 12% or under is 98% of the time safe to purchase . Using it for a stock I would like it dried down to 8% or under.

Dr. K - your experience and posts are always appreciated.

Buying wood that is represented at 12% is one scenario. Buying wood that is represented as "8-9%", and actually turns out to be 12% (or more), is something else.

Here's one example of a "dry" blank:

Here's a finished stock:

Here's another blank for refrence:

Here are 3 other "dry" blanks:
17.5%

25%

22%

I've received one PM requesting it, but I will not tell anyone where any of these blanks came from.

Sorry for highjacking the thread. Just want others to learn from my "hard lessons."

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:

I've received one PM requesting it, but I will not tell anyone where any of these blanks came from.

From really big trees jumping

Seriously though, can you calibrate that moisture meter for English walnut?

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1860 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where can you get a meter like that

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunmaker:
Seriously though, can you calibrate that moisture meter for English walnut?

James - it is calibrated to Juglans regia, with a specific gravity of .47. It is supposed to read 1" deep and cost me about $300.

The last three blanks shown were measured with a much more expensive prong type meter.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by new_guy:
...Sorry for highjacking the thread. Just want others to learn from my "hard lessons."[QUOTE]

Not a highjack at all, its what folk need to be made well aware of.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodjack:

You might look at Luxus Walnut blanks 1-1500, 1-1510, or 1-1530, they have a similar look to what you've pictured and are reasonably priced.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote