New
Find
Notify
Tools

pre-64 Safety Question
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
I'm used to seeing pre-64s with the full ear safety lever that closely resembles the current one. I've also seen what appears to be the same lever, except with the bottom half removed, especially on the pre-war guns.

However, I was looking at a pre-64 the other day that dated to 1947 and it had the half lever safety.

So I am now puzzled as to what the official breakdown, in terms of production date, is between these two safety levers. TIA.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3X62,
The prewar models had a safety that swung from 90 degrees(safe) left to straight back in line with the bore(fire). The Tilden conversion changed that so it swung from near straight back to forward and it had a different lever as the original.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
I am thinking that this rifle may have been pieced together a bit...

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
9.3/62,

There are 3 safety designs for the pre64 model 70s. First is as Chic described, which is the "wing" style that was on the rifle at the start of production. This style covered the "prewar" period. The top surface of the bolt sleeve had a flat part that allowed for movement of the safety. The "transition" period started after the war and was the style safety that your question is related to. Bolt sleeve or shroud changed too and no longer had the flat surface but was rounded. The actual safety was a straight, grooved bar that was pushed forward for "fire" position and straight back for safety. Third and last design was the addition of a round grooved leg that extended down from the safety bar previously described. Direction of travel for the safety positions did not change from the transition period. Safety design was changed due to the gaining popularity of scopes. On the early prewar guns with the wing safety, it was awkward to operate if a scope was mounted. Tilden and others came out with modified safetys that replaced the factory one and were easier to use with a scope. Years of production for the 3 periods, Prewar '36-'47, Transition '47-'48, and the Latter Era '48-'63. This is not a hard and fast rule however when trying to use dates, there can be several years of overlap on either end, and Winchester often depleted all remaining stock before switching to a new design. In other words, you can find rifles made in 1949 that have a transition style safety or one can find a transition period rifle with prewar style parts. Hope that helps.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say it's pieced together based on the safety alone. That style safety is correct for the time period.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Prewar has it correct. My transition ('47) has the same safety lever as you mentioned and the "clover leaf tang".

What caliber was it in and is it for sale? Been trying to find a 300 H&H transitional.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
This was a 270 in a left-hand stock with a goofy aftermarket trigger. I think it has been re-blued as well. They want $575 for it - seems a bit high given it's "issues".

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
9.3x62,

Thanks for the info. I'd probably take a pass on it as well.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Ok, so they went for 100 less offer, so I got it for $475. Time to build a custom rifle I guess - a CRF 35 Whelen is sounding like a pretty good idea.