New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: BAR dinging brass when ejects
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Of course, some of the brasses can be slightly dented, but I believe it's much more when they hit the ground. When I shoot, 70/80% of my brasses are in good condition - Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had and still have several BAR's they all do it, not a problem, just resize them. don"t mess with the gass port screw !

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience this is pretty common, I have two BAR's, one .270 Weatherby, one .338 Win., they both put a good sized ding in the case mouth, no problem reloading them.

Posts: 117 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's quite strange; this is my third BAR and I never had this problem. Is it a new model? If so, you could try to reduce the cycling velocity by tigthening a little the screw on the gas port. Usually the BAR should eject the brass at 1 meter, at 90� on the right. - Lorenzo

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Firstshot, I had one of those a loooooong time ago that did the same thing, .30-06. The dents ironed out when the expander ball entered the case for resizing. Never really pondered the why of it though. I've seen a number of other designs of semi-autos do that as well. Just a guess, maybe the ejection process begins before the case is clear of the chamber and it dents the case mouth a bit. Best solution I found was to sell it to somebody who didn't reload and buy something else.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both of my BARS are 30-06s and they both ding the case mouths as you describe from time to time. They also, very consistently, place all their brass about 6 feet to the right at the ~ 2:00 o'clock position. I have never let it bother me and haven't noticed any ill effects on the brass from it, I still get 10 reloads out of it typically.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote