New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sealant for Laminated Stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had to do same sanding around the barrel channel of a grey laminated stock. This removed whatever "glossy" type sealant the factory uses. I think I need to reseal the wood, but the final appearance is not real critical since it will not be seen.

What should I use?

thnx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some folks have used west system Epoxy thinned 75-25 acetone to epoxy, several coats. I am about to do the same thing to my stock, had to lower the comb so I can see the iron sights.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This will probably show my ignorance, but why would plain varnish not work?

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Since this is a laminate stock and you just did a little work to the barrel channel, you could try varnish if you have it. Or you could use some type of clear polyurethane. I'd suggest that whatever you use should be rated for OUTDOORS use as you'll most likely be outdoors and submitting this finish to dirt, oils, cleaners, and heat. Indoor furniture finishes aren't made to be quite so durable.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody else might be able to answer that question professionally. I got the epoxy idea from an old thread about refinishing the whole lam stock. The reason why they were not using varnish is cause it changes the color. Since you are only doing the barrel channel, it might not matter. The varnish will give the lam a different color, since varnish has a yellow tint to it.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../892101432#892101432

OK, so I was backwards. it was 75% epoxy to 25% acetone. Read the post from cgdavid, thats the one I was gonna try.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Off to get some epoxy or spar varnish.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
TRuoil all you need.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had great results using Sutherland-Wells tung oil sealer followed by their tung oil spar varnish.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Peralin

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Permalin

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tru Oil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
helmsman spar urethane - sold at wally world - this is what I use to coat my wooden arrows - impervious to water.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ-550 Varmint with a laminate stock that I sanded the barrel channel on. To refinish it I used Minwax Satin Wipe-on Poly. You can't tell anyone has ever touched the thing. If I didn't know better, I'd say that they used the exact same thing at the factory. Just get a staining cloth, pour a little on it, wipe it on, let it dry and you're done. Takes all of 5 minutes.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with gixxer on this one.

West System epoxy, and I see no reason to dilute it.

It's a standard boat-building process.

For wooden hulls that sit in water?

Certainly more environmental stress than a barrel channel is exposed to.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marine spar varnish from ace hardware. Cheap, but effective.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote