New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternatives to rebarreling...
 Login/Join

<green 788>
posted
The accuracy on my .243 Remington 788 has gone from 1/2 MOA to about MOA in the last year. I've been using mostly bullets in the 60 to 85 grain weight ranges.

I believe the throat is starting to go, though I haven't had that confirmed by a 'smith yet.

Assuming the throat is worn considerably, what options would I have to rebarreling the rifle? I don't use it that much these days, but I suppose that the accuracy is going to keep falling off the more I shoot it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you clean the heck out of the bore with copper solvent and/or JB to make sure you aren't just fouled from those high velocity loads. You might even be able to ream the throat a little longer for longer bullets i.e. 90 to 100 gr but that might not fix it. I don't think it is too big of a job for a gunsmith to set the barrel back a few threads and re-cut the chamber past the old throat...as long as it does not make the barrel too short for you. How about rechambering to 6mm Rem? There are of take off barrels floating around that are pretty cheap, but I don't know what fits a 788.

Posts: 92 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you handload, use a system like the Stony Point Over All Length tool to check the throat with the bullet you plan to use. You may need to seat them to a longer over all length. I have found that several of my rifles require load adjustment as the throat wears, but accuracy is restored as long as I maintain the correct bullet jump for a given bullet in that barrel.
If you don't handload, try a bullet with a fatter ogive or a heavier bullet. Each should accomplish shortening the amount of jump the bullet makes before engaging the rifling.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Hi Dan

Have somebody competent set it back and rechamber. Highpower boltgunners have done this for years. It costs the same as a rebarrel job, less the new barrel.

Rechambering to 6 Rem may not be doable, given differences in case taper unless you set it back and start over, which brings you right back to (see above). You'd have to buy 6 Rem dies and brass too that way.

Shouldn't cost more'n $150 or so, depending on who does it.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Thanks, guys. I'll call my gunsmith tomorrow and see what he'll charge. He's a friend of mine, so maybe he'll cut me a deal on the shortening and rechambering.

This rifle uses a detachable magazine that wouldn't accomodate the 6mm, so I'll probably stay with the .243.

Take care,

Dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan - I hate to suggest this but maybe the problem is your vision? I can't see or shoot as good as I once could. Lots of little subtle bastard things creep up on us as we age whether we like it or not.

How many rounds do you reckon you've torched off down your 243 barrel?

Frankly, I wouldn't lose any sleep because one of my rifle's had opened up 1/4" at 100 yds...but then I'm a lazy devil and as you know...easy to get along with. [Roll Eyes]

[ 12-21-2002, 10:12: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If you havent already then look at copper fouling first. If that doesnt do the trick you might consider a recrown or some different loads before assuming that its shot out. Give the "if it aint broke dont fix it" approach a chance to pan out before making the plunge into anything major, especially if youve been happy with it until recently.

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are you shooting/hunting that a MOA isn't good enough? 1" at 100 is more than adequate for most beasties hunted with a .243. I'd be really happy if my old Cooey 71 shot that well. Just curious. And it takes a lot of rounds down range to shoot out a barrel.
Mind you, I agree with Wstrnhuntr. Try his suggestions first before you think about rebarrreling a 788. Barrels for them aren't easy to come by.

Posts: 113 | Location: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 18 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Two things happen to a barrel with lots of rounds downrange. The throat erodes and the muzzel gets flame cut. First, determine your bullet jump to the lands and load the bullets out to either just touch the lands or .010 short of the lands, see if this doesn't restore your accuracy. This all asumes you have JB'd the barrel thoroughly and removed all traces of copper fouling first. You may also have to cut of 1/2 inch to 1 inch of barrel at the muzzel and recrown. Hot cartridges that burn alot of powder outside the barrel have a lot of residual muzzel pressure and this acts like a plasma torch on the muzzel over time. I'll bet you can restore accuracy without a new barrel.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote