Find
Notify
Tools

What is a 5/16" x 2.5" lathe tool HSS?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,
Leaving in early August for a Single Action Revolver Class taught by Hamilton Bowen. One of the Tool List entries has me stumped. It reads: 8" Smooth cut hand file couple 5/16x2 1/2" lathe tools HSS". I'm good on the hand file, however, what is a 5/16" by 2 1/2" High Speed Steel Lathe Tool? Where do I find one? I've already searched Brownells. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Matt in Virginia.

Posts: 525 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
They must mean a 5/16 square tool bit by 2.5in. long. The standard length is usually 4inchs. You can get tool bits from MSCDIRECT.COM. They will sell to any one. You may have to grind the bits to length. Hope this helps. I haven't the slightest clue what the bits are for.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt in Virginia:
Gentlemen,
Leaving in early August for a Single Action Revolver Class taught by Hamilton Bowen. One of the Tool List entries has me stumped. It reads: 8" Smooth cut hand file couple 5/16x2 1/2" lathe tools HSS". I'm good on the hand file, however, what is a 5/16" by 2 1/2" High Speed Steel Lathe Tool? Where do I find one? I've already searched Brownells. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Matt in Virginia.

Matt,
Bob G is right about what there after, but I'll admit it is a bit of an odd request. Most manual turning that a guy does these days are with carbide inserted tools, which are pretty cheap through MSC. 5/16 square is pretty small for a tool also. I don't like getting under 3/8 for 99% of the work that I do, and I prefer 1/2". Usually you wouldn't use the HSS unless you were trying to get a real high quality finish on slow moving material. An example would be a piece of barstock that was pretty large in diameter that you coudn't run your spindle speed up on, but even then, the case for HSS in turning applications are pretty few and far in between, aside from parting off. In parting, I prefer HSS over carbide because it is a lot tougher and can stand up to a lot of abuse. Not to mention, one blade of HSS can last a guy the rest of his life if he takes care of it, and grinds it properly. You can get them for about $7-$8 the last time I checked, which was a long time ago. [Wink]

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Just get the HSS cutter stock as requested. It can be ground to unique shapes. You will be doing small work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I am envious. I have met Hamilton and he is a fine craftsman and a real gentleman. Take lots of pictures and notes.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Blue Ridge Tool will have these bits fairly cheap also. The postage and hassle cost will exceed the cost of the tool.
I have a feeling this is going to be used as a straight edge, or as a scraper.
Just a guess, but post after the class, I'd like to know!

LouisB

Posts: 4240 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I greatly appreciate your input. Thank you again.

Regards, Matt.

<ezell>
posted
Save yourself the trouble and postage and go to a machine shop and ask to buy a 5/16" tool bit. They cost a buck or two. They will probably give you one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

HSS tool blanks are most likely available locally to you, at machine tool suppliers. Find out from Bowen what it will be used for, and what grade of tool steel he recommends, probably something like "M42". Tell this to the folks at the supply store. As mentioned before, you can get this all online, but you'll be paying as much for shipping as you would for the bit. Plus, you'll get to go to a store that carries all sorts of goodies that you'll just want to have.

Scott AKA Capt_E

Posts: 117 | Location: Sierra Foothills, CA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mattt, If you have problems finding one locally, Let me know, I will send you a couple.

Carbide and indexable tooling is nice, I use a lot of it, but in the work I do there is still a call for HSS due to some of the complex tool shapes required. And a guy needs to start at the bottom and learn HSS and tool bit grinding, then advance to carbide.

[ 07-22-2002, 18:42: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Since you are asking abou these tool bits, you need to understand that the 5/16 by 2.5 inch long tool bit comes as a blank and must be properly ground for the task required. There are lots of standard as well as custom shapes that can be made. A standard blank tool is essentially worthless. A major advantage of HSS over carbide is when you have to make interupted cuts.Carbide doesn't hold up as well to this as HSS.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thank you again for the help. I greatly appreciate it. Will be sure to post on my impressions of the class, not to mention what this blessed tool is for, when I return in mid August.

Regards, Matt.