New
Find
Notify
Tools

SR MAUSER Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have what I believe is a Model 93 Spanish Mauser. Marked Oviedo 1913, square bolt bottom, left hand guide rail.
The action is in very good condition with no pitting. The bore of the carbine length 7X57 barrel is in very poor condition. Want to rebarrel and stay in the 93/95 design pressure range for a cartridge.

I have a like new 7X57 19.5 inch military steppeed barrel for a 98 Mauser. Is there enough material in the barrel shank to turn the threads off and rethread to a small ring.

Will a barrel from a Swedish 94/96 in 6.5X55 fit my 93?

Can remington 700 in say 308 be set back/rethreaded for 300 Savage in a small ring?

Will a 35 Remington case work with the standard 93 bolt face?

Thanks

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to all of the questions, but I do believe that the small ring mauser barrels will interchange. Brownells lists pre-threaded barrels for the small ring actions from '93 to '96 and they list calibers as follows:
.250 Sav
6.5x55 (would be my choice in a long barrel just because they're such accurate and fun to shoot rifles)
7x57
.300 Sav
.35 Rem

All of that said there *is* one caveat to chambering in 6.5x55 and one benefit. The caveat is this: unless you use American brass (Rem, Federal, etc.) you will need to open the bolt face slightly to accomodate the .002 larger bolt face of the true Swede spec. The plus to going Swede is that Samco has, last time I checked, new barrels already chambered and threaded, at very good prices.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Posts: 38 | Location: Lake Tahoe, NV | Registered: 29 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trigger , you can made a small thread from a large thread M 98 enough material , a 6,5 should be fitted , and the rem barrel think it don't have a cilindrical shank to adjust in the late , but possible to made a 300 sav. fom it .

daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
trigger,
rem barrels have plenty of meat to turn down or OFF the threads and rethread for the .980x11 SR pitch. iirc, a large ring barrel thread is just barely too deep to cut good threads for a SR.

as for the 35 rem, i BELIEVE it wont feed for nada, but i could be wrong. same for the 7.62x39... everyone has seen ONE that feeds well.. i've seen 10's that wont.

remeber, this is NOT a 98 action, and you must avoid high pressure rounds...

all that being said, a 257 roberts, kept to "book" loads would be perfect, as that is what book loads ARE...

if you want low pressure 35... you could always do a 9x57 ... and have the barrel at .358 rather than .356, and shoot every 9mm bullet under the sun

jeffe

Posts: 39610 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote