New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solid Mod 70 gunsmith needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an older Model 70 Classic in 270 that needs some help. When I first got it, it would consistently shoot sub .5 inch 3 shot groups at 100. After having the trigger worked down to 2.5 lbs, it did even better. But I noted that the barrel was not straight in the channel and was bearing on one side (yep, here it comes), so I had a local smith 'fix that' for me.

Yeah, you guessed it. After that, it would not shoot well at all...1.5" or worse with the exact same ammo (from the same box etc.).

Worse still, whatever they did to the trigger, it can be made to fire when snapping the safety off. Bad stuff all round.

So I am hoping to find a really solid Mod 70 smith that is economical, just to bed the gun and test it, and fix that trigger. I don't know of any locally (Austin, Texas). Don't really want to do HCR. Am glad to ship it. If you have a recommendation, that would be great.

Thanks!

Posts: 108 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les Webernick/Rifles Inc---in Pleasanton.
Charlie Sisk---in Dayton, TX
Jim Kobe, who post regularly on these forums.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like Jim Kobe on Mod 70s.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for these recommendations!

On another board, Kobe was mentioned to me as well. I'll definitely check them out.

Talked with Charlie in the past, really nice guy, had forgotten about him.

There is another guy on 24hr that goes by the name Redneck, think I talked with him in the past as well, and his name has been thrown in the hat too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with Kobe.

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Interesting - did you try restoring the side pressure on the barrel (with a shim) to see if the accuracy is restored?

Also, if the trigger is now unsafe, did you take it back to your local smith and complain?

What's a "really solid Mod 70 smith that is economical"? Confused

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redneck is a good one also.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Older M70 triggers are so easy to adjust that I am sure you could to it yourself. It is very easy to do and make it safe again. Instructions are on the net and I can provide them for you. As for the bedding, remove the barreled action from the stock and see what your "smith" did to it.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Yes , really seems like a simple DIY fix.

Bob Shaffer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is 'Redneck' ?

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Keep us posted. The smith who "fixed" your gun so the gun is now in an unsafe condition would be open to liability I'd think - remember the stink about Rem 700 safeties?

Also, suppose you have the gun's bedding redone and it still shoots only "minute of pie plate" groups - then where are you?

A definite DIY fix UNLESS you want to spend a lot of $$.

Why on earth, if the gun was shooting SUB 1/2" groups, did you do ANYTHING to it? coffee

Oh, and what's HCR?

Bob Shaffer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sonofagun,
Why don't you go back and finishing developing your ultimate target paper?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
Who is 'Redneck' ?

Found out who he is this morning...he posts on 24 hour...his name is Lee Christianson. I think I talked to him about another project a year or so ago, based on folks recommendations. But I had lost his name and contact info.

He was really nice, prices reasonable, very helpful. So I am considering him and Jim Kobe, who people are liking alot too.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I;ve heard great things about Redneck too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used both Lee and Jim since they are about equal distance to for me. Both are excellent smiths.

Posts: 136 | Location: mn | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert by any stretch but my guess is when your smithy bedded your rifle the trigger is now touching the trigger guard enough that it is jammed in the depressed mode and fires when you take safety off, get the trigger out of a bind by relieving the slot in the trigger guard.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen M70s that would fire when the safety was taken off; and in every case it was because the trigger return spring was set too light. There's a fine line between light pressure and no pressure.

Many light barrels need a bit of forend pressure; try a temporary shim between the barrel and forend tip to replace what you removed.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most important step in adjusting a rifle trigger is verifying that it is absolutely safe before you return it to service. I don't understand how a real gunsmith let this happen. Eeker

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To be fair to the gunsmith, the problem is somewhat more complicated than I could probably describe online. It's inconsistent in one sense, but consistent in another. So they could have checked it to the best of their ability and maybe not noticed, I did not have any problems with it at first either. It's a bit hard to explain, and I harbor no ill will towards them. That being said, it should not have happened in the first place, so I just want to move on and find someone I can trust to solve the issue safely.

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chad T:
To be fair to the gunsmith, the problem is somewhat more complicated than I could probably describe online. It's inconsistent in one sense, but consistent in another. So they could have checked it to the best of their ability and maybe not noticed, I did not have any problems with it at first either. It's a bit hard to explain, and I harbor no ill will towards them. That being said, it should not have happened in the first place, so I just want to move on and find someone I can trust to solve the issue safely.

Ok then so we were not given all the facts/the complete picture so we could help you. You could try you know, but if you choose not to, good luck to you.

Bob Shaffer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sonofagun, Hey old man leave this alone and quit bothering him.

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Stick it Lambert - WTF IS your problem??????

Bob Shaffer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got your goat didn't I. As I said, go back to perfecting your revolutionary target material. Did you say that you use floor tile? Chad T has a problem and a few of the knowledgeable gentleman are helping him.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the serial numbers on bolt and rifle. If your smith had other 270's on hand it would be possible to accidentally swap bolts. I've seen it happen. (once)

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
As usual Lambert just likes to agitate but not man enough to explain why he likes playing childish games.

Probably was the school yard bully as a kid.

And further, I'll post WTF I want to say on here or any other forum and if you don't like it, tuff shit. Now go have a nice cup of STFU

Bob Shaffer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sonofagun:
As usual Lambert just likes to agitate but not man enough to explain why he likes playing childish games.

Probably was the school yard bully as a kid.

And further, I'll post WTF I want to say on here or any other forum and if you don't like it, tuff shit. Now go have a nice cup of STFU

How large is your vocabulary? Ain't large is it. Have you read the comments of the OP? I thought not. Go play with your target tiles, er, where were you when I was in the schoolyard? Hiding so I couldn't kick your ass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely Jim Kobe. He has a decent turnaround, and his quality is second to no one ...

Rich

He "rescued" a very old (22,xxx) Model 70 for me, made bases, and fit my 450 RUM barrel. Works slick as a handful of deer guts on a door knob.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote