THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need new binos, Leica Ultravid HD or Geovid HD?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Please forgive the dual post. This is an optics question, but I know a lot more folks see this forum compared to that one. I am on the horns of a dilema:

My old 10x42 Trinids developed a couple of problems and had to be sent in for repair. They say that they are not ecomical to repair, so they are giving me credit towards new sport optics.

The question of the hour is what binos to go with. I have gotten spoiled by good glass, thanks to those Trinovids that have literally been around the world with me. They have flown far more miles than the average person flies in a lifetime.

Anyway, I am looking at the 10x42 Ultravid HD's and the Geovid 10x42 HD's. I have some 10x25 Ultravids and LOVE them. I have been wanting a rangefinder for some time now. The Geovid HD's kill both birds with one stone. But that stone comes at the cost of 7oz of additional weight.

What do you think-get the Ultravids and get a laser ranger finder at a later date? This combo would weigh more than the Geovids, but I would only bring the rangefinder when I needed it.

Or i can get the Geovids and always have the rangefinder at my fingertips. But that comes with 7 extra ounces dangling from my neck. Of course if there was a time where I was worried aboutt weight I could leave the Geovids at home and take my 10x25 Ultravids (which of course have been mentioned in this forum due to their ability to stomp a mudhole in the ass of almost all other 10x42's during daylight hours).

I don't know which way to go and woud gladly appreciate any advice from folks who have been in this same dilema.

I laughed my ass off when I read the first three posts I have gottten in the optics forum at the time of this posting. One person said get the Ultravids and a seperate rangefinder, one said get the Geovids and have binoculars and range finder in one, and my very good friend Klaus wants me to ditch the the Leicas and go with Swarovski (of which he is a dealer, of course rotflmo).

I REALLY appreciate the three posts and deeply valuie what they said (except for Klaus beer). I am NOT making a joke out of what yall said and am thankful to get it. Seriously, than you VERY much for the well thought out replies that really are helping me. I just thought it was funny the way the first three replies fell. That is basically the story of my life!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc, just my opinion, but I'm not into multi-function equipment. As you said about the rangefinder.."only when I needed it". I would rather have the best bino, which you'll use all the time, at an acceptable weight, and bring along a separate rangefinder when needed. Rangefinder technology seems to change by the hour anyway, both range, accuracy, and the size/wt of the unit...you can update either when needed; separately.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Marc, just my opinion, but I'm not into multi-function equipment. As you said about the rangefinder.."only when I needed it". I would rather have the best bino, which you'll use all the time, at an acceptable weight, and bring along a separate rangefinder when needed. Rangefinder technology seems to change by the hour anyway, both range, accuracy, and the size/wt of the unit...you can update either when needed; separately.

A BIG +1

Especially the part about rapidly changing rangefinder technology.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

A BIG +1

Especially the part about rapidly changing rangefinder technology.

A BIG +2

I have used highend binos to make my living in the BC and AB wilderness for many years and have used the Geovid 10x42, very nice glass, but, heavy around the neck and what happens if your rangefinder goes TA, will your bino still function as you need it to?

I have Leica 10x42 Trinos and like these and my old Zeiss 8x30B/GAF IF glasses for hunting; I would go with the Ultravid HDs, no question and am probably going to buy a 8x32 Ultravid HD for my hunting next year. I use my Leica 16x48 Armoured spotter and thus tend to prefer a lower power bino for glassing, even for sheep as I seem to get less eye strain and they are lighter on my neck over a long day.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post

I have the 10x42 geovids with range finder and love em

The weight is just fine and the range finder has nothing to do with the function of the binos. It is passive, the ranger finder only turns on when you activate it...the range finder is "non working" unless turned on so it is impossible for its "not working" to affect the binos.

Very handy to be able to be looking at an animal an lase it with out every taking my eyes off of it.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The HD's are also a bit better glass and if I am correct i think the warrantee for the rangefinder is only for around three years so you could end up paying for a repair in a few years for an older rangefinder.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4205 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since there is a chap named Murphy that goes everywhere with me I agre with beibs, keep it simple and seprate
go with the Ultravids

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
In my mind there is no choice: Geovids are the way to go. I have both a pair of Ultravids 10x42 and Geovid 10x42, and since I started using the Geovids the others just sit in the safe. I also have a Leica rangfinder which I used to use with the Ultravids; it was a PITA to switch back and forth. The Geovid optics are every bit as good and the extra weight is forgotten. The rangefinder in them works outstandingly--who cares about "new technology" when this technology works.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I generally want the best tool for the job.....to me, most multi-tools equal a compromise. I have the Leica 10x42 Ultravids (like them a lot).....that's the route I would recommend. I also have a Leica Rangefinder.....it is a cool little toy, but I rarely use it when hunting.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
With Leica there is no such thing as "compromise".

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Leica. I own two.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I have Zeiss FLs, Swaro Els and the Geovids- all 10x42s. You really are splitting hairs when you talk about optics quality between them. Ain't much of a difference between them and the old Zeiss Armored binos whatever they were called if you ask me. All damn good glass.

What I like the best about the Geovids is you eliminate one step. You're not fumbling around for a rangefinder. Once you decide he's a shooter you just press a button and you've got your range. Glass+range, get your gun, boom.

Weight.....I dunno about a few ounces (never understood the need for "short" actions). I'm fat, by the time you've got food, H20, knives, bs bs bs...a few oz ain't gonna hurt (as is +/- a few yds on newer technology). Hell take a crap- there you've saved your few oz.

When I hunt abroad all I ever take are the Geovids. When I hunt ranches I know my distances it's between the FLs and ELs.

Regardless you can't go wrong either way.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1444 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you archery hunt, I would stick with a separate rangefinder. Geovids in 10X will be too much to range anything close. If all they are used for are 100 yard plus rifle shots, then they should be nice. I tried the Leupold rangefinder binocs and ended up peddling them the same year. Even at 8X they were too strong for archery hunting.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote