New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechamber Sako varmint
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would it be practicle to rechamber a Sako varmint from 7mm-08 to 7mm wsm?

What problems could this cause?

Has anybody tried to rechamber a sako 75 to a wsm?

Any info would be appreciated as I really want a sako varmint in a wsm.

Thank you.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The magazine of the L579 is too short for the WSM cartridge; furthermore, I am told that the bolt diameter of the L579 is a bit to small to accomodate a .532" rim diameter. If you want to boost your 7/08, about the only alternative would be to rechamber to .284 Winchester, which is about the largest case which will work in the Sako.

These comments apply only to the L579 and AII actions -- I'm not sure about the current Model 75.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako L579 rebarrelled to 7-08 Ackley Improved.The reason it is not a 284 is I was advised by the 'smith that built it that the feed rails don't lend well to opening up to feed the 284 case.But Sako did make factory L579 284's....so I guess it will work.The WSM's are out becuase the bolt is too small to go to .532".Give the 7-08AI some thought. I've just begun loading for mine and haven't chornyed any handloads yet.It digests 49 grs of IMR4350 under a 140 BT and shots great groups for a hunting rifle.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote