Find
Notify
Tools

Re: My oryx hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Bill-

I was hoping you would have used your .338WM.

Best regards,

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M1 Tanker,
Wow...those pics bring back memories. I was stationed at Bliss from 1988 to 1996 with the 3rd Cav. Shot a nice 5X5 mulie in 91 up on the plateau to the east of Hwy 54. Chased antelope up there on the muzzleloader hunts as well. Talk about frustrating! I've hunted mulies in the mountains around Hueco Tanks...that is some tough hunting!
Used to hunt quail and doves there too. Every now and then on FTXs we'd run into the Oryx herd right around the TX/NM border road. Sometimes as far north as Oro Grande. But they seemed to always be found around the border traceline road. I killed countless coyotes and jack rabbits in those dunes. Miss the smell of creosote bush too.
That's definitely big sky country at night! Quite a star show...

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Bill:

Very nice animal. I'd be tickled to death with it.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Bill,
Great looking animal, you have to be thrilled.

Thrilled is an understatement. I am putting for the same hunt again this year. I think a pair of mounts above my wifes couch would look great. In spite of her different opinion.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Quote:

M1 Tanker,
Wow...those pics bring back memories. I was stationed at Bliss from 1988 to 1996 with the 3rd Cav. Shot a nice 5X5 mulie in 91 up on the plateau to the east of Hwy 54. Chased antelope up there on the muzzleloader hunts as well. Talk about frustrating! I've hunted mulies in the mountains around Hueco Tanks...that is some tough hunting!
Used to hunt quail and doves there too. Every now and then on FTXs we'd run into the Oryx herd right around the TX/NM border road. Sometimes as far north as Oro Grande. But they seemed to always be found around the border traceline road. I killed countless coyotes and jack rabbits in those dunes. Miss the smell of creosote bush too.
That's definitely big sky country at night! Quite a star show...

I hunted mulies in the Hueco's also and that was tough hunting. I also hunted doves and quail there. But Bliss just cant compare in bird and deer hunting to Ft Huachuca, AZ where I am at now. This place is great.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Bill-

I was hoping you would have used your .338WM.

Best regards,

I was very torn betwwen my 338, 8x57, or 375. But in the end I went with the 375. Mainly due to the fact it was an African animal and the caliber choice just seemed right. I was also having a hard time getting a good load for my 338 that I could rely on. I finally found one but it took some serious work.

one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't you be concentrating on flying UAV's and leave the hunting to me LOL. Went hunting for mearns quail this weekend this is the only place in the U.S where you can hunt these birds in the wild. Like I told you the other day this is the best place to hunt the Couse deer. They also have some nice desert mulies here to but gettign a tag can be a pain.

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
So far you are the only one between the 2 of us who has done much hunting since I got here. I promise, I am dedicating PLENTY of time to UAV's. I finish FAA Ground School next week and that will lighten the load a bunch. Then we can get out and do some hunting and shooting.