New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone here built their own AR-15? Any suggestions?

MG

One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
Several.

What do you want to do with it? Coyotes, prarie dogs, Highpower, plinking, defense?

The easiest way to build an AR is to order a parts kit out of Shotgun News and assemble the parts. It will generally save you a couple hundred dollars, and you can build it on any stripped lower reciever. The kits that I assembled have all shot real well.

If you want to shoot service rifle matches, order one (or the parts) from John Holliger at White Oak Precision.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AR-15's are a lot of fun to build. They are truly modular............high tech "Legos" for us big boys.

For an encyclopedia of information go to AR-15.com

After you build one find where they are holding High Power Rifle matches in your area. Go watch them shoot and ask a few questions. Before you know it someone will loan you their gun and some match ammo. Shoot one match and you will be hooked.

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information. I would like to have one that I could do some coyote hunting, but also plink around at the range. I figured it would also be a fun hobby to get into when it is cold and snowy out.

From the sounds of things, AR's come together quite nicely. Is much gunsmithing involved? I know that with 1911, some of the work that needs to be done to them is beyond my ability. I have heard that AR's are pretty darn compatible, and are just like you said Craftsman...legos for big boys.

Guess I'll get myself a stripped lower receiver and give it a whirl...THANKS!

MG

One of Us
Picture of panzerguy
posted Hide Post
No gunsmithing necessary. Just buy kit, stripped receiver and assemble.

My problem is that I've got the assembly time down to about 45 minutes. Not much of a distraction anymore to while away the time.

Have fun!

Posts: 278 | Location: Wherever I park my tank | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.ar15.com

Search their forums (a bit large and sometimes a little confusing), you'll find everything you ever wanted to know about building, smithing, working on, etc, an AR-15...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just stick with the major brands and you shouldn't have any problems. Maybe a lick or two with a file, but nothing major.

The things are designed to be easy to work on.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fulton Armory sells a couple of nice books on the AR that will help you with assembly.

AGI has a video that is pretty good as well.

The two requirements for a truly accurate AR are a good barrel and a decent trigger.

For your purposes I would get an "SPR" profiled barrel with matching bolt from White Oak Armament. The also sell tuned Rock River Arms two stage target triggers. Those are the best value for the money.

Use your choice of free float tube and you are good to go. Take a look at the Badger Ordnance tube. Works well and doesn't cost too much.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Madgoat:
Has anyone here built their own AR-15?

MG

Oh just a few.

John

Posts: 565 | Location: illinois | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasgunner:
quote:
Originally posted by Madgoat:
Has anyone here built their own AR-15?

MG

Oh just a few.

John

Five between January 10th and February 10th.

Big Grin
The big hint is when you put the pivot pin in, either do it inside a large plastic bag or use a butter knife.

(Install the detent spring and the detent and hold them down with a butter knife and then slide the pivot pin over the butter knife blade. Pull the butter knife out after the pivot pin is started over the detent.)

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DAMN Fjold!! If I end up building one of these, can I expect waking up in the middle of the night with AR parts all over the place because I have been trying to put them together in my sleep? Big Grin

I was thinking about a Stag arms lower receiver. Any experiences with them?

MG

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
I have one stag arms lower and it went together fine, but I prefer bushmaster or doublestar. Take a look at www.jtdistributing.com . I have dealt with them quite a bit

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote