Find
Notify
Tools

Gun storage in a humid environment.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted
I need suggestions for storage of guns in a humid environment in my home. I have a wooden gun cabinet and noticed recently that the screws on the scope mounts on one gun were RUSTED. Luckily, this was the extent of the damage noticed. I think that the mount screws, which were brand new on a brand new, unfired rifle, may have been more susceptible to rust because they were matte finish. Maybe just some bad screws, but they would not have rusted unless humidity was too high.

The gun cabinet is in the finished half of the basement. I have a dehumidifier in the unfinished section of the basement. Is there something that I could do to keep moisture out of the gun cabinet? Would a "goldenrod" for a gun safe work in a wooden cabinet?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Savage99 is exactly right. Use either a Golden Rod or a light bulb to raise the temperature in the safe slightly higher than the ambient temperature to inhibit condensation. I have used a Golden Rod in my safe here in wet and humid Houston, TX for the past 27 years. It still works fine and I have never had condensation or rust on the contents.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also used a "Golden Rod" when I lived in a humid environment. Worked well. Safe. Another trick is to get a large sized pack of dessicant from Brownells. You can recharge it in your oven in about an hour. That worked well also. Moving to Idaho has worked best of all.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I like Savage99's light bulb idea, but when I was much younger I bought a "Golden Rod" dehumidifier which is nothing more than a little electric heater and a lot more expensive than a little light bulb setup. The Golden Rod works well, and I've lived in some very humid climates, (Florida, North Carolina, Hawaii). Its been working now for close to 20 years and I've never had even the slightest rust on a gun im my safe.

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A source of heat such as a small light bulb works well in my metal safes. What it does is keep the guns just a little warmer than the outside air and this prevents condensation.

I used a wooden gun cabinet for a long time that was built into a wall. There was no rust but we had a radiator under the cabinet.

Consider getting a burgler resistant safe and adding a small bulb.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to do a search for "VCI" packs. They're volatile corrosion inhibitors. I noticed that the latest Outdoor World catalog had them. As others have suggested, the golden rod heater works well too.

Posts: 521 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote