Find
Notify
Tools

My Colt Python is spitting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted
My 20 years old Python has been shot a lot (> 10.000 full power loads) and, while still very accurate, is spitting with both jacketed and lead bullets. Bbl./cylinder gap is .009", a little over max. Could this be the cause or should I check cylinder alignment ?

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Andre, Without doubt it is unfortunaely the cylinder alignment at this time. With the revolver unloaded, try to inspect cylinder endshake by cocking the revolver and applying "reasonable" pressure to the cylinder to acertain movement. Do this both front and rear. Often the pawl is the first item to wear, and sometimes the cylinder bolt (that which comes up thru the bottom of the frame.) The only other possibility is the cylinder alignment has been knocked out of wack. When working on S&W Model 19's years ago we used to use a lead babbit to help recenter the offenders. Don't do that to your snake!

Good luck, and thanks for the help several years ago with my Browning Continental's regulation issues. You were spot on.

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one for a while and the barrel split at the forcing cone. Colt replaced the barrel but I never could shoot that gun well. I sold it for $100 and don't regret it.

Guns that I shoot well are the Colt Woodsman and the old Ruger Blackhawk.

Another gun that spit really bad was a new S&W 357 with the 8" barrel. The cylinder was out of line on it's pin and would touch at 12 o'clock and have a 9 thousands cap at 6 o'clock. S&W fixed that one but like the 6" Python I could not shoot it well either due perhaps to its balance.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually I think there is a spitting cobra, but not a spitting python Big Grin, sorry I couldn't resist.
I worked in a gunshop for several years and this was a common problem with double action Colt revolver. What happens is the hand (the part that comes out of the frame when the hammer is cocked or the trigger is pulled double action, that rotates the cylinder) wears a bit. It doesn't always put the gun into "battery", (the chamber in the cylinder lined up perfectly with the bore) but still lined up enough to let the gun fire. You might try this:
Make sure the gun is unloaded. Close the cylinder and cock the gun VERY SLOWLY. When it is at full cock, see if you can turn the cylinder. If it moves, even a little bit, and stops in battery, I would have a gunsmith fit a new hand. Good luck.

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Andre
A number of years ago I picked up a Python at a gunshow that had a loose cyclinder.
I called Bob's Gunshop in Norfork, Virginia and had them send me oversize hand/pawl and cyclinder bolt. I had been reading one of the gun mags that such things were available.
With a lot of time and a hard Washita stone, I polished them down to fit and the Python continues to shoot like magic.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please take note that the Python action is not fully locked until the trigger is pulled. This is due to the fact that the hand, via the trigger, directly pushes up...against the cylinder ratchet......thereby tightening the cylinder notch against the cylinder bolt.

Bottom line.....cylinder/barrel alignment, on a Python action, should only be tested with the trigger fully pulled.

Maybe "Craftsman" will chime in on this.

Hope this helps.....

Friend Of The 17
Kevin Gullette

Posts: 412 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I tried it and, true, when I cock slowly the cylinder may still be rotated an hair until thhe bolt locks up. When the trigger is pulled, the cylinder does the same. I'm also thinking about a worn hand.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ask here:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

You may just need to stretch the hand. How is the timing when slowly cocking it single action?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The verdict :
I brought my Python to the best pistolsmith I know. Timing/lock up surprisingly good, considering the amount it was shot. However, the forcing cone is worn very thin (less than half the thickness of a new one) and has shortened more on one side. Seen under magnification, erosion stands out.
Remedy :
Set back the bbl. a few turns and ream a new forcing cone.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
André,

Just curious about the best pistolsmith you know - if you're talking Colt, I would be thinking Fons Baeyens, even if he specializes in the .45's...

Martini's Rule!

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Andre, very happy to hear you wil have success with a fine weapon once again. Perhaps it will shoot even better. Good shooting.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Martinibelgian, it's Fons of course. We've known each other for nearly 40 years and in that course of time, he prepared several pistols for me, including the "practical" Colt .45 I used to win the Belgian championship + 3d. European place in 1978. I brought him my Python on Monday and he called me yesterday to announce it was already finished. He set the bbl. back with .005" cylinder gap, reamed a new forcing cone which he polished like a mirror. And, of course,... scribed his "AB 06" inside the frame.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.