Find
Notify
Tools

Price check: Winchester 54 carbine
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello all,

Dropped by the gun shop today and, because he knows I like older guns, the owner pointed out a .30-govt-06 model 54 carbine that he had taken in recently.

The stock is in very good shape, with the exception of where it was notched for a Lyman receiver sight. Checkering is sharp, no flaking of varnish, original butt plate, and only a few normal dings and scratches.

The bore and mechanicals seem to be good, although it does need a good cleaning. No extra holes. The metal has been reblued (hot blued). Pretty good job on the bluing. In fact the bluing itself looks very stock, but what gives away that it has been done is that someone got a little over-zealous (not much) while polishing (the serial number and "Winchester" stamps are a bit shallow). The rear ramp sight has been replaced with a folding sight. The vintage Lyman peep is included. The biggest problem is that the firing pin has been broken and welded to fix. Not a great job, but it does line up with its hole and protrudes. I would replace the firing pin all together, but my biggest concern lies in the question... What typically causes a firing pin to break? Bad luck dry firing? Too high pressure loads? Is this likely to be an indicator of other problems? What?

Sorry for the long winded description. I just wanted to be as accurate as possible so I could get an accurate price estimate. When I get a couple responses I'll post the asking price and go from there.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=5818039

http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=5833099.0

I'm just starting to get into these and will hopefully find one someday...

I'll let you use your own judgment on how these apply to your example but I think from what you've mentioned the "high fallutin" collector value has probably been destroyed.

Hope this helps.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We had a short thread about this not too very long ago. I made a standing offer of $350 sight unseen. Others were willing to go to $450. The E-bay rifle is pretty well used and I guess it will go around $300. Just a guess. I think you will be in the ballpark in between these prices.
Keep us posted.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the first 1000 model 54's ever produced. The Serial # has only 3 digits. It belonged to my father back in the 40's and 50's He sold it to a friend and he kept it until recently. I got it back but had to pay a pretty penny for it. I payed more than I should but it was my dad's only hi power rifle. I got about 600 in it. It has less than a box of shells through it since my dad bought it back about ww II. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I guess "WOW" would describe my reaction when I started seeing some of these estimates and what they were bidding at. I thought the gun at my local shop was CHEAP at an asking price of $475. Obviously, I haven't really been too into the 54s. The extent of my knowledge was that I knew that they existed, they were the predecessor to the M70, and that they share some characteristics with the 1903. Something made me think that they might be worth more than comparable pre-64 M70s, hence my thinking that $475 was a good deal. I sure am glad I asked! I almost walked out of the shop with the gun and a $475 lighter wallet!

Thanks,
Bob