New
Find
Notify
Tools

Front sight height
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Savage model 99 and I want to put on a Semi-buckhorn rear sight and a gold bead front sight. What height should the front bead be? There no sights on it to go by. Thanks

Posts: 47 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

The Brownell's catalog has sight selection formulas/charts, but I can not find them on their website. Williams lists several sight combintaions for the Savage model 99, but there are four different 99s covered, depending on the model/caliber/style and barrel dimensions. If I knew which 99 (DL, E(old), F, R, EG) and caliber, as well as barrel diameter 4" from receiver and at muzzle, I could tell you what Williams sight combination that they recommend in the chart.

If you have a Brownell's catalog (everyone should have one!), you can find it in the William's sights section.

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

I have an EG in 300 sav. caliber. The measurement 4 inches from the receiver is 2 1/2 inches and at the muzzle it's 1 15/16 inches. I don't have Brownell's catalog because I thought I could find everything on line, but is would be nice to have one. Thanks.

Chuck

Posts: 47 | Location: Western Wa. | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Man, those are some bodacious diameters on your Savage M99; I don't recall ever seeing one with a barrel that thick.

Did you measure the circumference of the barrel at the two points requested? [Wink]

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim
Yes I did give circumference,not very bright. How about 13/16 inches and 5/8 inches. Just goes to show you I don't know what I'm doing, thats why I have to ask.

Chuck

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Chuck,

Starting out, both the front and rear sights need to occupy the same height above the center of the bore.

Place your rear sight in the center of it's elevated position. Measure the diameter of the barrel directly under the rear blade and divide this by 2 and write it down. Next, measure the distance from the top of the barrel to the top of the rear blade and add this measurement to your last measurement and write it down. This is how high the rear sight is above the center of your rifles bore.

Now repeat this process for the front sight. By taking the rear measurements with the rear sight in it's middle position, you should have enough room to make final elevation adjustments while sighting in.

Good luck,

Malm

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

We all ask questions here, that is part of the fun. [Wink]

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Chuck,

I thought the same thing as Jim, that's an awfully big barrel! [Wink]

According to the William chart for the 99EG in 300 Savage:

Barrel diameter 3 3/4" ahead of receiver = .875"
Barrel diameter 22" ahead of receiver = .575"
Height of factory ramp and bead above barrel = .550"

For the Williams WGOS-S Buckhorn rear sight base, they list the following:

Rear Blade Height = 3/16"
Williams Ramp height = 5/16"
Williams Bead Height = .312"
Total Front Height above Barrel = .531"

All of the above parts should be available from Brownell's ( www.brownells.com ). If you use a different rear sight, you can use G. Malm's formula to calculate front sight bead height.

Hope this helps, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your help. And Bill I did request a Brownell's catalog.

Chuck