Find
Notify
Tools

Re-Inletting for a different action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
On a McMillan A series stock, what is the going rate for inletting a stock for another action.

We are going from Remington 700 Short Action BDL to Howa 1500 long action with a PTG AICS floor plate.

I am guessing the action hole is filled with devcon or bisonite and then allowed to cure. Once the hole is cured the new inlet can be accomplished as if it were a new flat top stock.

I don't have a mill or a big drill press to do this on. I think it would be pretty straight forward.

Thanks again Gents!

I am going to call McMillan and see what they charge in the morning.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Don't know how they would do it or the cost. If it were mine provided the rear hole is correct I's just that as the anchor point. Inlet the stock to fit the new action and FILL the area around it as I bed the Howa action.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You also need to check measurements on the new and old actions. I had one I was going to do and found the new action was "taller" than the old action, to the point that the new action was taller than the stock to be changed. No go. All of the wood would have to be removed at the front action screw. Not good. Smiler

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote