Find
Notify
Tools

Picture of a mesquite stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
Anybody have a picture of a rifle stock in Mesquite they can post? I have never seen one.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
This is one I had in an old Bishop catelog. I always thought it looked a lot like exhibition Myrtlewood.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is mesquite,its a crotch piece of wood. That wood makes super stocks for high recoil calibers. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen a mesquite stock, much less held one in my hands.

I understand that mesquite is heavy per cubic inch, compared with some other woods such as walnut. Is this true?

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of different species of mesquite. Ive seen some funiture that looked like that stock and the stuff we cook with in texas looks real red. It is super hard and heavy dense wood.The dry dead wood is brittle. Ive seen sparks fly off my chainsaw and it will dull a chain in a heart beat. I'd rather put it in the smoker than under an action. Most of the texas trees are small.

Posts: 195 | Location: Athens Texas "The Black-Eye'd Pea Capitol of The World" | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Screwbean is a bigger tree than the stuff we have in Texas. It is very hard and heavy. It contains a lot of sand grains. Picks them up as it grows. I've seen pieces big enough for dining room tables. As STW says it will dull a chainsaw as well as any other tool real quick. Carbide is the only way to go.

I don't know for sure but the one I have felt was on the heavy side. Much like Bastogne.

Another example.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have worked with the red mesquite to make a lot of furniture and it is a real bugger to work with. But it is also one of my favorites when it is finished. The red mesquite is the most dimensionaly stable wood, even when soaked in water for days, grown in North America. Only a few exotics surpass it in that area. That is hard fact and well documented by the way, not my opinion.

Red mesquite can offer some incredible color and figure. But the figured stuff will cost you dearly and is very hard to find. But there are several sources for it, especially in TX. An internet search for "mesquite lumber" will yield several sources. Most are small bandsaw mills and will custom cut for you to your specs. Weight wise it is very similar to good english walnut, but far harder.

Also the the reason for its nasty habit of tearing up the edges of tools is its extremely high silica content that is naturally occuring in the wood.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one that thinks that stocks made of mesquite look like cheap laminated plywood stocks?

Fugly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
Am I the only one that thinks that stocks made of mesquite look like cheap laminated plywood stocks?

Fugly.

Exactly, way too Roy Weatherby for me, but to each his own....K sara sara.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
those don't look anything at all like my wife's mesquite-stocked Encore - her's has all sorts of intricate waves and patterns, with some "quilting" patterns (the endcaps are black walnut). Stock done by Bullberry/Woodsmith (Fred Smith) in Hurricane, Utah.

This stock is quite a bit heavier than my simiarly-dimensioned Encore stock in Black Walnut (with mesquite encaps). My Encore has a 24" barrel, hers a 22" and overall, her gun is slightly heavier (hers is a 260 Rem, mine is a 6.5x284).

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
NOW That I like!

Where did the wood come from for her Encore? Can you take a close up of that butt for us?

That wood has a rich amber to brown color with contrasting grain patterns.....very nice!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Troy Hibbitts:

That is exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned how nice figured red mesquite looks. I think it is far prettier than screwbean. That is a beautiful stock.

William Berger

One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
I can't say precisely where the wood came from - I called Fred at Bullberry and told him my wife wanted mesquite - this was one of his last mesquite blank at that time . . . when I made my "mirror image" stock (black walnut w/mesquite endcaps) he at first misunderstood and thought I wanted a mesquite stock like my wife's and told me that he didn't have another blank. Anyway, here is a poor photo of the buttstock in full sun, but its the best I have right now:

Troy

Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
The wood is very similar to our local Pacific Madrone. here is a small piece of stabilized burl I used when I had this custom knife made. The wood is very nice once dried, but I think a stock of it would be heavy.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The blanks are quite expensive, at least for me. Henry Pohl at Great American has some and he told me this week that he can carve one for $500-700. I found another place for $700. I am still looking. If I find anything better I will let you know.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
http://www.mesquitefurnitureoftexas.com/lumber.html

These guys sell mesquite rifle blanks. I do not know for how much, or what species of mesquite, but they have it.

One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
Anyone in South Texas selling mesquite is selling Prosopis glandulosa, usually simply referred to as "mesquite" or sometimes "honey mesquite"

Mesquite, TX native plants database

We have very little of the screwbean mesquite, at least not until you get out towards El Paso.

Troy

Brackettville, TX

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I'll second the 'hard on blades' bit. I resawed some into knife scales last year... I'm not sure I'll try that again! It does look good though...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
333_OKH

Who made that knife for you?

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
NOW That I like!!

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought mesquite went out of fashion for gunstocks due to high cost. Sure do remember looking at a lot of gorgeous mesquite stocks back in the 60s and 70s though. They were certainly beautiful!

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
333_OKH

Who made that knife for you?

Journeyman Bladesmith Chuck Richards
Fortuna, CA http://www.woodchuckforge.com/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mesquite (flat pod red) is not as hard as the screw bean type. I have worked several of both types and the screw bean will be the best for heavy recoil guns like Weatherby used in the 50's-60's. This Texas mesquite has a little bit of fiddle back and it is cut for a Martini small action.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold a house a couple of yrs ago that I put a mesquite wood floor in my Trophy room, lots had burl and much figure for South Texas Mesquite, but they were only two inch wide and the longest plank I had was maybe 3 feet. Made one hell of a floor.

I've never built a stock on it, the pieces I've seen large enough to build a stock on didnt have much figure. I still plan to build a gun with a mesquite stock, just have to get me a blank.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Screwbean Mesquite--my 308 Marlin [IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
Screwbean Mesquite--my 308 Marlin [IMG:left] [/IMG]

Hmmm....Kinda looks like a bad laminate stock.

William Berger

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Funny---that is the reaction of a lot of people! When it was being built the production guys said the same thing!

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid my dad was friends with an old rancher is West Texas. He had a Winchester lever gun in 25-35 that he had personally restocked with Mesquite in the 40's after the factory stock broke when his horse took a tumble. I always coveted that gun and stock. It was gorgeous. Being from Texas it just seemed right. I held the gun when I was 10 and the old man was 80 or so and I never forgot him or the gun.

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A guy on ebay has a screwbean mesquite stock for sale listed under pre-64 stuff.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of the blank or good old Texas red mesquite I will be using on my Marlin 1894 44 mag. Treebone Carving is turning it to his "cowboy conversion" pattern for me.

William Berger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is real mesquite M1!
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Don Dobbratz of Telferner, TX (Victoria) is famous in South Texas for his mesquite stocks.

Early Weatherby in plain-jane mesquite:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don Dobbratz of Telferner, TX (Victoria) is famous in South Texas for his mesquite stocks.

Yes he is... didn't know many people remembered Don, an old ACGG member, or knew of his work. I have a Sako .30-06 he stocked in Mesquite and it remains one of my favorite rifles! Don is over 70 now and doesn't do wood gunstocks much anymore but if I have an issue with a gun, he gets first shot at working on it.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I know Don through the late Wayne Baker, a fairly well-known gunsmith from Conroe, TX. Although Wayne's work could be "spotty", he was capable of top-quality work and did some of the auction rifles for Houston Safari Club. Don profiled alot of Wayne's stocks and probably did other work for him as well. Both very knowledgeable smiths.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
If it's the same Don Dobbratz he was a classmate at Trinidad in the class of 1954. Only mesquite stock I've ever had any experience with was one from Roy Weatherby. He visited the school and gave each student a stock (unfinished) for their use. I remember he was driving a big,I beleive,Chrysler station wagon and the stocks were in the back of it. I picked a mesguite blank. they had the tip and grip cap mounted and I remember mine had thin holly spacers. I bought a new FN action (that's what the blank was inletted for) and built a pretty nice rifle, have no idea what caliber or what I did with it but I did like the mesquite.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Cool story regarding Roy Weatherby donating those stocks to you guys!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Pretty wood, mesquite.

How is the weight of mesquite as compared to walnut?

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13642 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I just listed a nice 1 piece mesquite blank in the classifieds and will be listing a couple 2 piece mesquite blanks as soon as Dad can get me some photos.

William Berger