New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tubb Speedlock and Spring ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have experience with the Tubb Speedlock Firing Pin and Spring in a 98 Mauser?

TIA,

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:
Anyone have experience with the Tubb Speedlock Firing Pin and Spring in a 98 Mauser?

TIA,

flaco

I bought 2.They are an aluminum main boby with a Titanium pin. They are long for a standard M-98 (VZ-24) so they have to be reground & fit to length. The spring is pretty heavy like 28#??
I have since gone back to the OE pin W/24# wolf spring. I still have 1 NIB don't know if it will get installed or not.

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I look at it as kinda like putting Parellis on a Yugo-yes, in theory and on paper the car will now handle a little better, but come on, it's still a Yugo! Not one in a thousand calibrated asses could detect the difference in the real world.

Mausers are not the actions with the fastest lock times out there. Marginally increasing it does not really do much for a guy in the field. Or on the range for that matter.

What qualities or changes are you hoping for by adding a speedlock to the Mauser?

Have you done much cycling of Mausers with heavier springs?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc-

At it's best, my 1909 6.5x55--Lothar Walther barrel--has shot well under 1/2 MOA at 200 yards.

I've been bitten by the accuracy bug, and like, most of all, small groups.

And I'm well into the law of diminishing returns.

I don't expect a lot, because from where the rifle is shooting now, there are really no great improvements to be had.

I'd like a little more consistency, though.

And even smaller groups.

LOL.

flaco

N.B. And yes, I'm still working on load development, and distance to the lands. LOL.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One more post.

Here's a link to the Midway USA "Reviews" page for the Tubb Speedlock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductreview.exe/GetReviews?productid=366309

I guess we're all a little skeptical of the Midway reviews, and probably rightly so.

Ya think the companies have shills the go around posting positive reviews?

Does Midway edit negative reviews?

Who knows.

I do know I'm especially skeptical of the first guy that claims a (roughly) 50% improvement.

The other two?

Perhaps more reasonable.

I believe that for me, a 10% improvement would justify the Speedlock.

Twenty percent, and I'd be ecstatic.

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
WHat type of wind flags are you using, how many, and at what ranges?

What type of front rest are you using?

What type of rear rest are you using?

What type of bench are you using?

Tell me about your match ammo reloading techniques.

WHat bullets are you using?

When you say it "has shot well under 1/2 MOA at 200 yards," just what did you measure and how did you go about getting the data (groups)? To say that, are you actually taking the average of 5, 5 shot groups? Now this means all of your shots-none thrown out. No "IF I DO MY PART" BS. Man, I hate those words more than any others in the gun industry. Just why in the hell would some one shoot a group with their rifle and not try to put every shot in the center? I better not go off on this tangent.

How many benchrest matches have you shot in or at least watched "live and in the flesh?"

When you have all of those up to benchrest standards, then worry about your lock time. Only at that time will it have any importance at all. You are truly straining gnats and swallowing camels.

The Midway "reader report" is not worth the energy it takes to power your screen while you read it.

Very few people can shoot up to their rifle's capabilities. I sure as hell can't and am man enough to admit it.

If you want to shoot up to your rifle's capabilities as it stands right now, find a local benchrest shooter and pay for some lessons or start shooting in their matches. Learn to shoot up to your current rifle's potential before spending money on the speedlock kit. Spend the money on books and videos that teach benchreast technique-for both shooting and loading real match grade ammo.

After you have done all of this, let's see how worried you are about a speedlock kit for a Mauser.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
and anyone wanting to learn how to shoot should check out:

benchrest.com

those guys know how to "walk the walk."

It is very common for people in any sport to want to buy their way up to the next level. the ONLY way improved equipment helps you is when you are limited by your current equipment.

For literally more than 99.9% of shooters, their limiting equipmnent is their wind flags (usually NONE!), bench, front and rear rests, and ammo. But it does not matter, as they are not shooting up to their equipment's potential anyway.

Admitting you need coaching and then finding -and listening to- a coach will go a long way towards making a shooter a better shooter.