Find
Notify
Tools

1911 dovetail cut question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HKman
posted
I have a Nowlin "Mickey Fowler" Action Elite 1911 with adjustable LPA sight and I would like to replace the LPA with a Tritium night sight. After studying the Brownells catalog and doing an internet research I´m a little confused about the dovetail measurements. There seems to be a "standard dovetail", a BoMar, Kimber, Novak and LPA dovetail cut. Can someone clarify this for me or give me the measurements? What´s the LPA dovetail cut ? (I did not find this information on the web).Thanks in advance!

They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety
-Ben Franklin, 1759

Posts: 50 | Location: Nürnberg, Germany | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the LPA’s all fit a standard 60 degree dovetail.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HKman, the difference in those sights you mention isn't as much in the actual dovetail (although they may be 60 or 65 degree) but where the dovetail is in relation to the milled area on the slide. I have a sheet that details the differences that I got from one of the sight manufacturers but I filed it in my shop and the last time I looked for it, I couldn't for the life of me remember what I'd filed it under.

No matter. With your pistol close at hand, call Brownell's Tech Dept. and they'll help you determine which one you have.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Brownell’s catalog those sights fit standard dovetails.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote