New
Find
Notify
Tools

700 BDL
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 270 win.in a bdl. I would like to put on a 6mm barrel and neck down a 25-06 case to 6mm. What are the pros and cons.

Posts: 65 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: 05 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Not a big deal to do. Basically a 240Wby with a normal shoulder and no belt. You will burn a lot of powder, raise the potential to burn out a barrel and get a 100FPS gain in velocity. (Comparing loads listed in my Nosler book for a 6mm and 240.) I would use a long barrel to help burn the extra powder.

Lot of people swear by the 6-284 which has pretty much the same capacity. I built a wildcat years ago that had about 11% greater capacity than the 06 case. I pulled the barrel. I found I was just burning a lot more powder for small gains. Rebarrel with a 6mm. A 6mm or 6mmAI would be all the powder I would put behind a 6mm.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So sell the long action and buy a short action

Posts: 65 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: 05 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ever think about the 6.5-06 or the 6.5-270 (6.5 Brenneke)? Flat shooting and better bullet selection. Should fit right in your action.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before I would give advice, What are you trying to achieve? It would make it easier to help you.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote