Find
Notify
Tools

Improved Muzzle Brakes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted
I was browsing through the Brownell's catalog, and I came accross these two muzzle brakes:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6669&title=QUIET+MUZZLE+BRAKE

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=13835&title=RIFLE+MUZZLE+BRAKE

What sets these two apart is that they claim that they redirect the gases away from the shooter more than other brakes. I have a brake on one of my rifles, but I seldom use it because it seems to cause strange problems with my sinuses and causes me to blink a lot afterward. Almost like I have dust in my eyes.

I'm wondering if anyone has used these brakes and if they really are better than they other brake like they claim to be?

Regards,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I've been making brakes for aound 20 years now in every imaginable configuration you can think of & the are ALL loud.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
I've been making brakes for aound 20 years now in every imaginable configuration you can think of & the are ALL loud.

I'm not concerned about load, I'm trying to reduce the blinking and the weird feeling in my sinuses. Are that related to the loudness?

Kory

One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Might be related to some additional concussion waves that get directed back towards the shooter when using a brake if you're sensitive to pressure-wave changes.

When I started diving, I started noticing pressure changes in the ambient air a lot more.

Do you notice a lot of pressure changes when you're driving up and down hills or when the ambient pressure around you drops ... like a wierd feeling?

If so, it might just be the rapid pressure changes with a brake vs. your sinuses trying to figure out what's going on. With shooting, the pressure would change and be gone faster than your conscious mind could notice it, but subconsciously you may just be extra-sensitive to that stuff.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ben589:
Might be related to some additional concussion waves that get directed back towards the shooter when using a brake if you're sensitive to pressure-wave changes.

When I started diving, I started noticing pressure changes in the ambient air a lot more.

Do you notice a lot of pressure changes when you're driving up and down hills or when the ambient pressure around you drops ... like a wierd feeling?

If so, it might just be the rapid pressure changes with a brake vs. your sinuses trying to figure out what's going on. With shooting, the pressure would change and be gone faster than your conscious mind could notice it, but subconsciously you may just be extra-sensitive to that stuff.

Ben,

I do think it has something to do with the concussion waves. Have you ever gotten punched in the nose? Can you remember how your sinuses felt afterwards? That's what I'm talking about, but its not that dramatic. I'm thinking if these brakes redirect more of the wave away from me, it may reduce the effect, at the same time, the more the wave is directed forward, the less effective it will be in reducing recoil. There is no free lunch.

Regards,
Kory