Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted: Mark X Action and Bottom Metal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All,
Decided that I want a Mark X to build my 25-06 AI on. I found a rifle at a local pawn shop for $295. Not bad and the action looks good. The problem is I was wondering if I could do better. All I want is the action and bottom metal. I have the barrel, trigger, and walnut. Where would a guy go to find one. Either web, store, or individual. Hoping to get a better deal if one is out there. Any advice or input would be great.

Cheers,
Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt you will find one any cheaper; especially if you can jew them down a little.

I've seen the triggerguards sell on auctionarms for around $100 and have seen complete rifles where they were asking $400 or so.

Sounds like you got a good deal. Especially if you can turn around and resell the original stock or other parts on ebay.

Best of luck,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
DanM

I am not Jewish, but I still find it extremely distasteful that you would tell another person to "jew" somebody down.

Kevin

one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

DanM

I am not Jewish, but I still find it extremely distasteful that you would tell another person to "jew" somebody down.

Kevin

If you're looking for a politicaly correct forum, you've come to the wrong place.

Ligten up

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Racial slurs have nothing to do with being politically correct. More with ignorance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The price you quoted on the complete rifle is quite low, sounds like a bargin to me.

Just received an -e- from the Chas. Daly folks that will be importing the Mark X action under their name the trade agreement has been formalized and completed rifles, barreled actions and actions alone will be arriving during the next 3-5 months. If you want just the action they should be available by May.

Ol' John

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some people need to get a life. My best friend is Jewish and he would laugh at me or anyone else saying they wanted to "jew someone down". There's such a thing as being sensitive and then there's being stupid. If that offends you then I'm of the unwavering opinion that you're too stupid to continue breathing the same air as the rest of the human population of the earth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy the complete rifle, put the barrel and stock, sell them on ebay, keep the action.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well put, these politically correct people get on my nerves... they should try living in atlanta

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

Just curious - what trigger and safety are you using on your rifle? Also, why did you decide on the Mark X action? What barrel and stock are you using?

The reason I ask is, I have a mint Mark X in .243 that I'm thinking about changing the trigger, safety and stock (has a Ramline stock currently).

Thanks!
Scott

Posts: 52 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
Barrel = Lothar Walther. They are great shooters.
Trigger = Timney Featherweight Deluxe with side safety.
Stock = Really, really nice piece of English Walnut.

There is an old boy up in Nocona Texas that carries stock blanks and inlets/shapes them nicely. See him at the odd gun show but I do not think he advertises much. The piece of English that I got from him is really sweet. He is very reasonable too. Past that, I like Timney triggers. Have used the Bold Optima too before and have liked the reults. As far as barrels go, I have put A&B, Douglas, Shilen, and Lothar Walther on Mausers before. If I go Douglas I use Dave at I,T&D Guns up in Ohio. If I use the A&B I do it myself. If I use a Shilen I use a local fella. The Lother Walther barrels can be ordered threaded and chambered but I do not have a lathe to set the thing back as they come long chambered. The A&B are short chambered so after I clean up the action I hand ream. The 338-06 that I built this way is a great shooter for the money and besides if I mess up a A&B barrel I would not feel too bad (although I have never messed one up).
Anyhow, I enjoy the process of building a gun. I do all of the stock work myself as I really enjoy it. If you are intersted in doing something yourself I would say go for it as life is too short to be afraid to try something yourself. It is very rewarding, at least to me. IMHO

Cheers,
Jason

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason - If you don't mind saying, what is the name of the guy in Nocona?

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

What do you like about the Mark X action? What made you choose it over, say, a M70 or other Mauser action?

Just curious.

Thanks again,
Scott

Posts: 52 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
You can get steel bottom metal with the swing open floor plate from Numrich/Gun Parts for 70 bucks. I doubt that you can jew those yankees down though. LOL

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All,
The guys name in Nocona is Jim Whittenburg. Phone number 940-825-4023. I have only bought one stock from him so far. It was great and cheap. He had some Pecan and Black Walnut at the last show. Pretty good inletting and I like the shape of his rollover. When I am done with it I will try and post a pic.

The reason for wanting the Mark X action is looks and convience. The Mark X is already tapped, has the longer magazine, hinged floorplate, commercial shroud, and no thumb notch. I like the way it looked compared to a VZ-24. I already have the Mauser threaded barrel so that ruled out the M70 or something akin.

In the future I will probably use Mod 70's/ I like the safety. You can find them around here for about $325. They are tapped and have a reasonable length magazine. For me, I have enjoyed tinkering with the Mausers. Both going cheap and utilitarian to pretty darn fancy (this project). Some of it is a learning process as well. I'd rather be in the garage fiddling with a gun that watching TV.

Guess I will go pick that Mark X up. I know where another one is in 330 Win for $275. If someone wants it I'll get you the name of the Pawn Shop. It looked pretty good and had a synthetic stock on it. Same palce had a real nice BDL for $299. That one is in my gun rack as of today. Anyhow, thanks a bunch for the posts, feedback, and opinions. I really enjoy the help. Thanks!

Cheers,
Jason

one of us
posted Hide Post
Numrich is out of bottom metal currently (at least as of Friday when I called). I tried there. Hopefully, they'll get some more in soon. Thanks, Jason

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Since KBI Inc (Charles Daly) is importing their Mausers actions in left handed models, can anyone tell me how long a cartridge I can load with no modifications? (30.06?) How long can it handle with minimal modifications (magbox, ejector, bolt stop, etc.) Will they handle a 375H&H?

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
KBI will have a 375H&H length action available. They list the 375 & 458 on the site in barreled actions as well.

http://www.charlesdaly.com/HTML/products/firearms/rifles/barreledActions/mauserBarreled.asp

The mag length is 3 11/16". The 06 is 3 3/8" However, I believe that the action is opened up in the front like the old Mark X in 375. The action itself is not any longer that a standard 98. I have never heard of any trouble with the Mark X in 375 but, I don't believe I would use it for one of the newer higher pressure rounds.

As to the original question. $295 is a good fair price. I buy them from $285-320. What is the caliber now? The factory barrels were usually excellent shooters. Bottom metal runs $75-115 and commercial bolts are $125-135. When you throw in the action and ejector and bolt stop you are above the $295. Sell what you don't want and you should have an action for less than $200 net.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote