Find
Notify
Tools

Inaccurate Sako
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted
I have a Sako that I have a rough time getting groups below 1.5 inches. I've had it glass bedded, free floated the barrel, and had the barrel replaced a couple of times, but the accuracy hasn't changed.
I checked the lugs, and it looks like one lug is taking all of the recoil. I took it into a very well respected gunsmith, and he says that shouldn't effect accuracy that much. I have a rough time taking his word for it, but with his reputation, I'm inclined to believe him. What do you think? Do you have any other ideas?
This rifle is a joy to shoot, and it seems everytime the gun goes off, I'm right on target. But I'm ready to send it to the scrap heap if I can't get it to shoot.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Send it to me!

Well you can try lap the lugs...lapping lugs for contact is one of the steps people do in "accurizing" a rifle. Have you talked about the accuracy problem with the smith and have him look at your rifle? You've only asked if the lugs will affect accuracy...

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Oldfart,

If its an older model before the 75's came out I would try adding a pressure pad under the barrel. Try using a length of ribber inter tube from a car tyre. Fold it so you have sufficient thickness but make sure its long enough to stick out either side of the barrel when in place. Pick a load its shoots reasonable well with, and shoot a few groups, sliding the rubber pad to different softs under the barrel for each group..This may or may not help, but is very easy to do and worth a try,

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do some gunsmithing including changing barrels etc. I like to point out that I�m NOT any kind of expert in this area though!

I have done work on some SAKO rifles and actions and my experience is that most SAKO rifles shoot really good. The biggest problem about these nice rifles are, in my opinion, the scope mount. I haven�t tried them all but the ones I found working well is SAKOS own (preferly with plastic inserts) and Warnes after lapping them.

If there�s contact on only one lug it would be a major consern im my shop! My experience is that if there is a minor problem with lug contact it could be fixed with lapping. If there is a big problem (only one lug in contact for ex.) I would defenetly put the action in the lathe and go from there. It�s easy to mess things upp when trying to "lap a big problem avay".

I hope you get your SAKO going, they are nice rifles!

Stefan

[ 06-07-2003, 00:52: Message edited by: Stefan ]

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input. The gunsmith is looking at it now. It's a AV model, and I am using the sako rings with the plastic inserts. If the smith can't find anything wrong, I will try the inner tube trick.
This barrel it has on it now is a 257 wby, and is the heavist barrel I have seen on a rifle. It was installed by Van Horn. This one had better shoot or I may be sending it Pyrotek's way.